Recommendation for film newbie

JTrigger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a newbie to film... really minimal knowledge.. I've used digitals, but seldom film. I wanted to try taking up taking a bunch of odd and unusual b&w photos just around town and see if any ever came out nice enough to frame then do so, but I was hoping someone could recommend a good, solid performing film setup in the range of $200-$500.

JT

Canon Eos systems are great. The Rebel series kits easily run under $500. Also the lenses will work on EOS digital SLRs. B&H photo has a wide range of camera kits. look around ...http://www.bhphotovideo.com

I don't use Nikon but hear great things about them too.

There are a number of strings on this same basic theme from the last few weeks. It mostly comes down to personal opinion. Just figure out what's important to you ie:mirror lock-up, depth of field preview etc., and find a camera that fits your needs and feels right.

FWIW, You might look at the Nikon FM10. A good basic 35mm camera. The thing about it is any lenses you buy will be compatable with any SLR in the Nikon line should you subsequently move on to a more advanced model.

airgunr said:
FWIW, You might look at the Nikon FM10. A good basic 35mm camera. The thing about it is any lenses you buy will be compatable with any SLR in the Nikon line should you subsequently move on to a more advanced model.

For less than a FM10 (not made by Nikon, by the way), you can get a mint, used Nikon FM2n, which would use the same lenses, and is a much better camera.

So I was thinking about getting one of the EOS Rebel cameras as a 1st... but I have no clue seeing as there are GII, K2, 2000, 20D, 10D, etc...etc... how's the GII for starters? Anyone know if the lens that comes with it is decent or? Are there any great sites to get familiar with the use of SLR cameras in terms of lingo, knowledge base...? I'm sure this has been answered before, forgive me for asking again :)

Most reactions

Back