Recommendation Nikon Lenses

chavite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi -

I am wondering if someone feels comfortable helping me by making some recommendations about good lense selections for a Nikon D200.

I would like a few lenses that will work in wide range of situations.

1. One that has telephoto zoom lense for good distance and wide range. I have heard the Nikon 70-300mm AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED (4.3x) 4.3x Telephoto Zoom Lens Vibration Reduction is an excellent choice.

2. One that does good product shots for photographing images to put on online stores and product catalogs (for my clients, I am a graphic designer).

3. One smaller length (than the telephoto). One that is nice for landscape and nature shots. Ocean, Sunset, mountains, plains etc..

There are many to choose from and I do not have much lense experience, although I know how important they are. Please help.

Thanks

Also - does anyone have a recommendation for an online retailer they have had satisfactory transactions with (for digital SLRs) other than Adorama and B&H?

Thanks
Chavite

Hi -

I am wondering if someone feels comfortable helping me by making some recommendations about good lense selections for a Nikon D200.

I would like a few lenses that will work in wide range of situations.

1. One that has telephoto zoom lense for good distance and wide range. I have heard the Nikon 70-300mm AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED (4.3x) 4.3x Telephoto Zoom Lens Vibration Reduction is an excellent choice. Don't you think you should put quality glass on a good camera http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/274780-USA/Nikon_2139_70_200mm_f_2_8D_VR_G_AFS.html

2. One that does good product shots for photographing images to put on online stores and product catalogs (for my clients, I am a graphic designer). http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/300490-USA/Nikon_2147_17_55mm_f_2_8G_ED_IF_AF_S.html

3. One smaller length (than the telephoto). One that is nice for landscape and nature shots. Ocean, Sunset, mountains, plains etc.. refer to the abpve 2 they should cover everything

There are many to choose from and I do not have much lense experience, although I know how important they are. Please help.

Thanks
I hope this helps

Also - does anyone have a recommendation for an online retailer they have had satisfactory transactions with (for digital SLRs) other than Adorama and B&H?

Thanks
Chavite

B+H

Hey thanks -

In your opinion, what is not good about the:

Nikon 70-300mm
AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED (4.3x)4.3x Telephoto Zoom Lens
Vibration Reduction​

Hey thanks -

In your opinion, what is not good about the:

Nikon 70-300mm
AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor
f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED (4.3x)4.3x Telephoto Zoom Lens​

Vibration Reduction​

I can't speak for JIP, but here's what in my opinion is not good about that lens... it's a fairly slow, variable aperture zoom. Probably won't be much good wide-open and you'd want to stop down to at least f/8. VR will help reduce the effects of lens movement but it won't help with subject movement. Finally as you say it's a 4.3x zoom, which is likely to have more distortion and aberrations than a 3x zoom. Build quality may be OK but nothing special... certainly not equal to the quality of a D200.

More to the point, it may not be a bad lens but it's nowhere near as good as the 70-200mm f/2.8 that JIP linked to. Optical quality, build, almost everything about it will be massively better. The question, as JIP said, is shouldn't the quality of the glass match the quality of the camera? After all you've decided to buy a D200 over a D80 or D40, so why now go for the cheaper option with lenses? If you want a telephoto zoom, like JIP I would recommend looking at that Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8... if it seems a totally unrealistic option at that price then I would suggest maybe looking for an older non-VR version, or alternatively an equivalent Sigma or Tokina.

As for online stores... whereabouts in the world are you?

I actually like the 70-300 VR, but I shoot wildlife and animals, and I shoot lenses mostly wide open...

To me, the bad parts are that it is fairly plasticy for the amount of money that you pay for it, and it is kinda noisy when compared to other silentwave lenses.

It is not really all that much better than the 55-200 VR which is half the price. Also, it is not better picture-wise (if you discount the VR and the fact that the G has a plastic mount) than the 70-300 G... and you can pick that puppy up for $129.

Look, if you're doing web stuff, the glass doesn't matter, it's going to be reduced in size so much you wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

How big of a catalogs are we talking about? I'm guessing it's printed. Most small product shots in printed catalogs are done on 4x5 to 8x10 view cameras as far as I know.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back