Recommendations for a new compact

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by ahelg, Nov 19, 2006.

1. ahelg

ahelg TPF Noob!

I'm in the market for a new digital compact. It should cost aroun 350 pounds. It should have no less than 6 mp, and it must have manual controll. Chosing aperture and shutter myself.

As I edit and organize my images on Linux, RAW support is not a requirement as support for this on Linux is not very good, I rarely use it. Tiff support on the other hand would be very welcome.

I would like around 6x zoom, but more than that usually means involves lens distortion.

Also being the guy I am, I'd like to do as little editing afterwards as possible, so accurate colour rendition would be nice.

Any suggestions?

Size doesn't really matter, as long as it can fit into a jacket pocket.

2. rwebbart

rwebbart TPF Noob!

I have been shooting with a Samsung NV7 and love it. It takes great photos. The only negatives I read in reviews were about noise. But most of my "Pro" cameras (I make a living at photography) have some level of noise over ISO-400.

%90 of the photos in this gallery were taken with it.
    http://randywebb.net/photogallery/index.html

Look for yourself. I'll be happy to answer any question or shoot some specific test shots with it if you like.

3. ahelg

ahelg TPF Noob!

I've been browsing for information about the camera. Just a few questions about the build.

Does it feel plastic to use? Call me strange, but It's always felt a bit wrong when I hold cameras that are made mostly of plastic materials.

In the pictures I've seen of it, the lens sticks out quite a bit. How far out does it stick and does it use a lens cap or does it have one built in which covers the lens when you turn it off?

4. rwebbart

rwebbart TPF Noob!

1) It has a metal construction that feels like it could take a bullet and still function.

2) It does stick out a little (but it's cuz, the nv10's lens retracts into the camera but only has a 3x zoom and 2 aperature settings) Of the FULL MANUAL point and shoots I have found, the NV7 is still the smallest. The canon G7 has a retracting lens but it is priced almost as high as some DSLRs.

3) It has a lens cap. There is a little cord that comes with it that you can hook to the camera for keeping up with it.