Recommendations for a weather cover

Overread

hmm I recognise this place! And some of you!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.deviantart.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I already use the ultra cheap and easy to pack OPTech Rainsleeves and also neoprine on my lenses for some added protection (also great for keeping a cold metal lens barrel just a little bit warmer!).

However I was wondering if anyone here has experience of other weather covers on the market and if there are any you'd recommend considering and what advantages they give. The biggest downside to the Rainsleeves are that they tear easily, so whilst they are very affordable, they are also a bit of a weak-point.
One bonus is that they do at least let you see the barrel of the lens, which can be invaluable for adjusting lens switches or zoom/focusing wheels as needed. I've seen some covers that are complete which go over a lens and offer no access to it at all, great for AF and primes; but utterly useless on a zoom or if one wants to use manual focus. Others appear to be a bag with two access points, which seems practical, but I worry that it would be a bit of a faff when actually using it (esp if using it handheld as opposed to on a tripod).

Following. Was going to ask this same question soon.

Heavy-duty fabric, has worked well in pouring Oregon rain for 2-hour night football games, etc.. I shorted out a Nikon D1h during a 4-hour track meet one time, so I got this, but in blue, and yes, the price was $269 when I bought it: AquaTech SS-600 Camouflauge Sport Shield Rain Cover | price tracking | price alert | price history on soliva.net

Has worked well for me, fits 300/2.8 AFS-II, 400 f/3.5 EDIF, 200/2, smaller lenses like 70-200/2.8 as well. This will fit a 120-300 f/2.8 Sigma OS zoom as well. Ample coverage for big cameras like D2x,D3x,1Ds, gripped 7D,etc. even with a 300/2.8 on-camera. Worked fine with camera on a monopod and rainjacket on.

Superior product, has rear "chimping" panel of heavy, thick clear plastic.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back