Recommendations for best wide angle lens for 7D

dmunsie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm currently using a Tamron 10-24 with good results, but I'm now considering a top of the line wide angle lens where money is not an issue. Thanks for any thoughts, your example images, etc.

Ideally I would snag a Canon 14mm or a 16-35mm. You say money is not an issue but it really will be. I doubt you can drop $160,000 on a Nikon 6mm Fisheye! :mrgreen:

eek! Yah.. I should have posted my max budget is around 5k for the lens. lol... Would the 14mm give me better results compared to shooting at 16mm with the 16-35?

Despite the flexibility of the 16-35mm the 14mm will provide better quality. In fact, the 14 is more than capable. Depending on how serious you are though you may not want to drop 2k on a wide angle. What type of shooting are you doing?

14mm Examples:

Flickr: Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM

I'm shooting outdoor, landscapes, nature, lakes, river, etc, etc. Plus the occasional cityscape, building, etc. Not sure about filters, still learning about those. Even though I do have a uv filter on my tamron currently. I should point out that while I consider myself a beginner, I've learned enough to know that when it comes to lenses it's best to purchase the best you can afford. ;) Thanks for the Flickr link. I've seen some great shots taken with this lens. The overall sharpness is what is attracting me to this lens.

Comparing images to my existing Tamron 10-24, I'd say the biggest step up in quality is going to be on the corners of the image. I have noticed on my wide landscape shots the corners are a bit soft. Shooting at f11 compared to f20-f22 has improved overall image quality. Based on everything I've read it looks like the Canon 14mm is definitely the way to go. :)

hmm.. if it matters I am currently using a t3i and just recently purchased a 7D. Last minute research seems to be not recommending this lens for the 7D since it's not full frame. I do eventually plan on buying a full frame body, so in that respect it will be compatible when I upgrade. Any last minute thoughts before I pull the trigger? lol... Thanks.

The reason I asked about the filters because some people may want to use filter such as ND filter with the landscape lens to smooth out the water. And you may notice some lens has trouble using the filter since the way the front element is made.

i.e. This is my 14mm f/2.8 Tamron.

3316935872_07b34a5b0d_m.jpg

It is hard to use a filter with it.

I also have the 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DC lens which is able to use screw in filter. I bought the Sigma because it is cheaper. I believe it is good for what it cost. However, I think if I want to spend more money for a better one, I will get the Canon 10-22mm
Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM

Although many like the 'really wide' aka ultra-wide results, my preference is 'wide enough with minimal distortion'.

To that end, I've been more than pleased with my 16-35 f2.8L II, first on my 60D (crop sensor) and now my full-frame 5D3. Although I do some outdoor work such as city scapes, scenery, and outdoor functions, I find the 16-35 'fits the bill for me' for when I want 'wider'. Most of the time, I'm using the 24-105 f4L IS as the zoom reach is about all I typically need for cityscapes and scenery. If not, I can always crop the picture and get the added 'reach' in post.

I'm thinking you may want to consider the Canon 8-15 f4L lens. On your crop sensor T3i and 7D, that gives a field of view as if it were an 13-24, which is still 'really wide'. Likewise, the 14 f2.8L sounds like it would be to your liking. I might even consider a 20, 24 or 28mm lenses as well.

Rather than dropping a big chunk of money on a lens that may or may not be 'the cats meow' in your eyes, consider renting a different one for each of 3 weekends or something like that. Even at the cost of $50-60 (guessing) per weekend, it's still a lot cheaper than dropping $1500 on a lens only to be disappointed.

And regarding image corners...using Canon EF lenses, not EF-S, corner softness and even vignetting doesn't occur, as the projected corners, tops and sides are all beyond the size of the sensor. Also, some post-processing programs can automatically correct certain lens distortions/vignetting, etc.

Good stuff bratkinson, thanks! Such a noob..I didn't even consider "renting" from my local camera store first. Great! Thanks.

I may be wrong but circular polarizers on a wide angle lens are usually a recipe for disaster due the light being refracted at different angles causing colour differences in skies etc.

Wide angle fov on a crop is different than on a ff, so the 16-35 is pretty much a bit wider than a standard zoom and wide "ish" but nothing like your 10-24. I have used a tamron 11-16 f2.8 and really liked it but many say its not very sharp (I found it good). wide angle primes are designed for ff cameras, not that they wont work on the 7d but why drop thousands if hundreds may be ok. The sigma 10-20 f3.5 or canon 10-22 f3.5-4.5 are as good as most, if they don't give what you need you may have to blow that budget

If you're used to the 10-24 you may not be that happy with the fov of the 16-35. Optically it's better but there's a huge difference between 10mm and 16mm in terms of field of view. Comparatively the 16 would have a fov slightly wider that the 18-55 kit lens. You will notice a lot more difference between 10 and 16mm than you would between 16 and 18. I think you will miss the wide angle part if you go to the 16-35.

Definitely not thinking of the 16-35, just considering the 14mm at this point. Thanks again for all the comments. Really crazy to realize just how expense proper glass is. That's been the biggest rude awakening of my photography discovery the past few months. lol...So..would the canon 14mm give me the best/sharpest wide angle lens for use on my t3i/7D.....at any cost? Just curious if there is something better and just how much it would cost. (ducking for cover...) lol...

If you are thinking about getting the 14mm prime lens, you may want to think about getting a full frame body to take advantage of it. With the 7D, the angle of view of the 14mm is not too wide. Especially when compare to those ultra wide angle lens that made for cropped body such as your Tamron, the Sigma 10-20mm, Canon 10-22mm and the Tokina 11-16mm.

You can see a noticeable difference from going from 14mm to 10mm. One of the main reason I bought the Sigma because I want a lens wider than 14mm with my cropped Canon body. And I believe that lens won't take any front screw in filter, just like my Tamron. (if that is important to you)

Definitely not thinking of the 16-35, just considering the 14mm at this point. Thanks again for all the comments. Really crazy to realize just how expense proper glass is. That's been the biggest rude awakening of my photography discovery the past few months. lol...So..would the canon 14mm give me the best/sharpest wide angle lens for use on my t3i/7D.....at any cost? Just curious if there is something better and just how much it would cost. (ducking for cover...) lol...

With the "something better" comment above, I would suggest picking up a full frame camera and maybe a 16-35, 24-70 or 24-105. The difference will knock your socks off.

Thanks again for all the comments. Needless to say, I'm now researching the canon full frame cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back