Recommendations for Gear

mastless

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello guys! My name is Tristan and I've been involved with photography for about a bit over a year now. Since I'm more of a casual photographer than professional, I have been relying on my "college budget" backpack and other accessories for the longest time and I finally have my finances in check enough to update my gear. As someone who hasn't been in the community as long as most others, I wanted to ask this forum of photographers who have a better understanding to suggest what brand or gear to buy.
To be specific, I need a new backpack and tripod. I prefer something stylish but very durable and practical. Can be a messenger bag or traditional backpack. If anything, leave the name of a brand you like most and I'd love to look into it.
Also, if there are any gadgets that you guys recommend that would be fun during shoots (such as glass balls, glass pyramids, smoke bombs, etc.) and want to suggest, go for it too!

Thank you!

... any feedback on a bag would require what gear you want to put in it ... any feedback on a tripod requires how much you want to pay $$$ ... this will give you better suggestions.

I've enjoyed my Mefoto Roadtrip tripod. It's $200 now, so I think it's a tad bit pricier than when I got it.

Backpack is subjective.

Price range is pretty important to list here.

I love my Lowepro messenger bag. The only downside is it only comes with cushioning to hold a body with a short zoom or prime attached and one additional short zoom or prime. I added in the cushioning from another camera bag to accommodate a telephoto (mine didn't come with it's own cushioney case). It does have a ton of extra space in the main pocket and is expandable with a zipper. I also keep inside it my little rocket airpuff cleaner, my camera battery charger, a flash and a box of lens wipes and my giant lady wallet. It also has little interior pockets that are great for an extra camera battery, rechargeable batteries for the flash and a memory card holder that I can fit two extra cards in. There are three outer pockets, one on each side and one in the back. The back holds snacks and a water bottle really well, and the two side pockets are great for a small notebook and my phone.

My favorite part about this bag is that people complement me on it and a lot of them are really surprised to hear that it's a camera bag. They think it's just a gym bag, so it's like I'm incognito when it's all zipped up, which is perfect for someone like me who frequents the unsavory areas of cities.

I have 2 Lowepro Slingshots. I like a sling because I can easily change lenses and things when afield. Which sometimes quit literally means a field. :) or a marsh, pond, beach.

The larger 304 can actually hold a gripped Canon T6s with a 300f4 attached! In addition to a 50f1.8, 18-135, 10-18, speedlight, batteries, and all the trimmings.

A decent tripod will cost $200 and up. They are worth every single penny!!
Vanguard Abeo + for me....

... any feedback on a bag would require what gear you want to put in it ... any feedback on a tripod requires how much you want to pay $$$ ... this will give you better suggestions.
For a bag I'm looking to hold one camera, about 2 or 3 lenses, and maybe a laptop. Something not heavy duty, but very subtle. Tripod I would pay about 150 max. With those circumstances, what suggestions do you have?

I've enjoyed my Mefoto Roadtrip tripod. It's $200 now, so I think it's a tad bit pricier than when I got it.

Backpack is subjective.

Price range is pretty important to list here.
Thanks for the reply! I'll look into Mefoto gear in regards to tripods. Is it very versatile? Good for on the run?
Backpack I don't need something too heavy, just practical and capable of holding a laptop and a few lenses along with a camera. I'm willing to pay 120 for a backpack and 150 for a tripod. Still on that college budget somewhat hehe.

Tripod Suggestions Needed

Im not sure specifically what you can get at 150$ for a tripod but I just went through this process last week. There were some nice pods at about 225 ( if your american thats probbly in budget).

I went with a Manfrotto 190 and Ballhead.
Loving it so far.

with tripods
the thinner and more segments to the legs the more wobbly and less stable they'll be. But it can also make them more compact.

With the head you want one with plates that do not move at all when locked down. This prevents the plate from being wobbly.

In photography being absolutely still makes a big difference. Any wobbliness can cause motion blue. And we're talking any wobbliness not just what you perceive as wobbly.

Look at the main brands Manfrotto, Slik, etc as they all have models with heads in the $150 range that are pretty good. The head though is a personal preference. Some heads from SLIK are kinda bad especially the ball heads - the 3-way heads are fine.

Most reactions

Back