Recommendations for light and cheap dslr

Carissa

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I bought a Canon 10D used a couple of years ago and although it takes great pictures and it's easy to use, I find I don't use it that much because it is so cumbersome and heavy. I would like to be able to sell it and get something as light and small as possible, while still sticking with an SLR. I'm looking to buy used to keep the cost down, I would like to stay under $400 body and lens. I've been looking at the Canon Rebel XS, Pentax K100D (I heard that the Pentax lenses are usually more light weight?) but I'm open to any brand since I'm going to probably sell off the lenses I have anyway. I also see some of the Olympus cameras are pretty light but got mixed reviews. Any recommendations?

I had a canon rebel xt. Not sure what the newer model rebels are going for but if you stick with canon you could keep the lenses that you have.

Yeah I was thinking that at first but the lens I have comes out a bit too close up on a digital for my landscapes so I have to use an adapter, that all adds to the weight and bulk so I would just as soon sell it and get something new.

Ok now I'm thinking the Nikon D3000 - seems like a better camera than the other two for the money?

If weight and size are the biggest concern, have you considered m4/3rds? The lenses are quite a bit smaller than the typical DSLR offerings.

Going for another Nikon, Olympus, and Canon might get you a smaller body but the lenses are going to be roughly the same size.

I've looked into the 4/3rds and they are a nice small size, but I think I would rather stick with the flexibility of a true SLR. The camera I have now weighs 2.6 lbs with lens and one battery. That's pretty heavy if you are carrying it any distance. It's more the weight that concerns me, as opposed to the dimensions. After going on a hike with my camera on my neck strap, my neck is stiff as a board. This camera needs either a strong man to handle it, or a tripod user. :)

I'll be posting my 10D on ebay tomorrow night if anyone is interested in a nice, good condition, albeit heavy, camera. :) (user id: vagserv)

Last edited:
Are you 5' 90lbs?

Here is the thing, if you want something light/compact/easy to carry... then get a P&S.

If you want a SLR camera, then you are going to have to deal with the extra weight.

How about you look into other ways of carrying it, whether that be something like a slingshot pack that allows quick and easy access, or an improved strap to keep your neck from getting abused.

From the sound of it you just have this thing bouncing around on your chest (hanging from your neck) as you hike. This gives me an impression of someone who is taking snapshots occasionally outdoors along a walk.

I'm not really looking for something light, more like something lightER than what I have. I don't need something I can stuff in my pocket and take snapshots with, I already have another camera for that purpose... I would rather go full SLR, or nothing.

From what I've researched, the 10D is one of the heavier SLR bodies made due to the magnesium body construction.... the body with battery alone weighs 870g, compare with the Nikon D3000 body with battery which weighs in at 536g. So that's about 3/4 lb in weight difference between these two. That may not sound like much but it's roughly the equivalent of carrying a 12oz can of pop attached to your camera strap.... after a while the extra weight gets annoying. The lenses are comparable in size and weight but my lens is not wide-angled enough for my landscape photography so I use a converter which adds another 120g and 2.5" of protrusion. Yes I could buy another lens that would serve my purpose but I would then have to sell the one I have to cover the cost... etc.

As far as what I'm using it for, probably quite a wide variety of situations, but mostly outdoor photography that involves not just walking but climbing up and down steep and somewhat treacherous rocky areas, staircases, etc. Places where it's hard to haul heavy gear.

But yes point taken, a better travel case would be a good investment as well for my purposes so I think I'm going to look around for one.

Last edited:
flexibility of a true SLR.

Just curious..

what sort of flexibility do you find in a "true SLR" that isn't there for a m4/3rds?

what lenses do you use with your 10D already?

In your budget range, you might be forced to replace the 10D and use the lenses you already have.

From what I've researched, the 10D is one of the heavier SLR bodies made due to the magnesium body construction.... the body with battery alone weighs 870g, compare with the Nikon D3000 body with battery which weighs in at 536g.

Most brands use magnesium bodies (or something similar) in their upper tiered models for durability. Your 10D as well as its later siblings (20D, 30D, 50D, etc) all constructed in the same manner. This is true for the higher models within the Nikon line. The Nikon D3000 is pitched at the consumer line (Rebel XS is the Canon competitor) which are usually made of plastic bodies for lower cost. Given your budget, I would consider keeping the lenses you use with the 10D and purchase a Canon Rebel body (the latest version you can fit in your budget). Switching systems at this time is going to be prohibitively expensive.

I can get a Nikon D3000 with 18-55mm VR lens brand new for $400....

Most reactions

Back