Recommended Exposures by Ansel Adams

So you keep saying - yet thus far you seem to offer little proof upfront unless people prompt you for it. Might be an idea to start your own thread on the topic and outline your thoughts and reasonings for why you consider AA to have theories that are not as "correct" (in your view) as others belive them to be.

So you keep saying - yet thus far you seem to offer little proof upfront unless people prompt you for it. Might be an idea to start your own thread on the topic and outline your thoughts and reasonings for why you consider AA to have theories that are not as "correct" (in your view) as others belive them to be.

I don't really have time. Suffice it so say he's wrong.

Basically, his zone system requires you to vary film development to adjust to scene contrast. This is absolutely false.

I have a copy of a Kodak professional publication that goes into a great bit of detail about this, and explicitly denies this idea.

Last edited:
So you offer no proof to prove that he is wrong and yet you expect us to believe you over a guy who has international respect and adoration for his works and teachings?

@Petraio--Whoa! From what i can tell you and AA have different styles. Thus not making him wrong just different from you. Meanwhile making you look really angry/hot head and closed minded, all the while you saying nothing concrete to back up your unfounded statements.
He did non moving objects...you seem not to.
I would really love to see someone master a view camera on a non-stationary object of any kind the way AA did on non-moving things.
And IMHO tone in B&W does matter...a lot. It's not everything but it's important.
Overread is right you really should start a new thread on AA saying what is wrong with at the very least a smidge of proof or something more than hot headed splutterings.

So you offer no proof to prove that he is wrong and yet you expect us to believe you over a guy who has international respect and adoration for his works and teachings?

Yeah, the same people who think Meryl Streep is a great actress, James Cameron is a great film-maker, and George Winston a great pianist.

Basically, Adams appeals[FONT=&quot] to bourgeoisie [/FONT]sorts. Not to me.

Adams was a one-note hack.

Last edited:

Yeah, the same people who think Meryl Streep is a great actress, James Cameron is a great film-maker, and George Winston a great pianist.

He does not appeal to bourgoisie. He is hated because he was a victim of McCarthysm witchhunt. He was a member of a progressive and not a reactionary organization. You probably hate him because he was tagged a communist. He might have Leftist inclinations but he resigned from the Artist organization because he is not a communist but a legitimate Leftist. I doubt if you have read any of his books. You should like him because bourgoisie does not appeal to him just like you.

He does not appeal to bourgoisie. He is hated because he was a victim of McCarthysm witchhunt. He was a member of a progressive and not a reactionary organization. You probably hate him because he was tagged a communist. He might have Leftist inclinations but he resigned from the Artist organization because he is not a communist but a legitimate Leftist. I doubt if you have read any of his books.

No, this is not political. I have no knowledge of these accusations. I don't care one whit about him. I have read his books, as well as Minor White's book on the zone system. This is strictly about his photographic ideas and practices.

And he certainly does appeal to [FONT=&quot]bourgeoisie [/FONT]tastes.

"If I go to somebody's house and there's an Eric Clapton album, I leave." (member of Culture Club)

I offer a deal to every poster in this thread. His books are all available in public libraries. Let us read them all. Then after 4 months let us gather ourselves in another thread and discuss every item in detail. I tell you, he is credible. Believe me.. I studied law. I know everything about fraud..And the guy is no quack. He talks sense. Let us all read his books. THE CAMERA, THE NEGATIVE, THE PRINT..

He does not appeal to bourgoisie. He is hated because he was a victim of McCarthysm witchhunt. He was a member of a progressive and not a reactionary organization. You probably hate him because he was tagged a communist. He might have Leftist inclinations but he resigned from the Artist organization because he is not a communist but a legitimate Leftist. I doubt if you have read any of his books.

No, this is not political. I have no knowledge of these accusations. I don't care one whit about him. I have read his books, as well as Minor White's book on the zone system.

"If I go to somebody's house and there's an Eric Clapton album, I leave." (member of Culture Club)

"If I talk to somebody about photography and he mentions Ansel Adams, I leave." (Me)

"If I talk to somebody about photography and he mentions Ansel Adams, I leave." (Me)

So why are you still in this thread?
:confused:;)

Seriously this is getting tedious now - either produce some evidence (I suggest in your own thread - as before I'm not closed to arguments provided there is decent and well founded proof) or just stop with the endless "trolling" of your point.

He was able to publish books that became bestsellers. Why would I not believe him. His books should not have sold if he is a quack. He carved a name for himself. Ansel Adams! BIG TIME!! How then do you find his pictures. They're perfect !! Whether he used a 35 mm or a medium format, his pictures don't have even the slightest defect...

Because they're full of falsehoods!

He used large-format camera. He would have been helpless photographing anything that wasn't stationary.

I'd like to see if he could have done this, for instance:

http://www.photographyboard.net/airborne-skater-1.jpg-846.html

Or this:

http://www.photographyboard.net/chasing-the-ball-1086.html

Or this:

http://www.photographyboard.net/rugby-game-1087.html

Or this:

http://www.photographyboard.net/rugby-1085.html

No, he could not!

Ansel Adams, if you read his books, does not discriminate between or among 35mm, medium or large format camera users. Actually he recommends a 35 mm and tells his readers or students not to mind the grain if they have good composition. quote unquote..'THE CAMERA....A picture might not have grain but if it does not have good composition, it is nothing compared to one with some...(again quote unquote, Ansel Adams, THE CAMERA..See how logical his theory is..Read Black and White Photography magazine (this month)/ You see Marilyn Monroe picture with lots of grain in it. It made the magazine..

No, this is not political. I have no knowledge of these accusations. I don't care one whit about him. I have read his books, as well as Minor White's book on the zone system.

"If I go to somebody about photography I leave." (member of Culture Club)

Most reactions

Back