Recommended Exposures by Ansel Adams

does it apply to colour photography

does Ansel Adams teachings apply to colour photography

Actually, I have seen outstanding portraits done by Adams as well. He was also an innovator (look at his work with Polaroid, for example). The comment that he couldn't photograph anything that wasn't stationary is just plain incorrect.

Actually, I have seen outstanding portraits done by Adams as well. He was also an innovator (look at his work with Polaroid, for example). The comment that he couldn't photograph anything that wasn't stationary is just plain incorrect.

I remember him discussing in one of his books a photograph of a clergyman in front of a white church (or something similar). He went on and on about how the development needed to be changed to accommodate the lighting. A real pro would have simply (and wisely) used fill-in or reflectors to even out the light. What Adams advocated was wrong. He is always wrong.

He was a fool.

Last edited:

someone is also going to have to explain to me what large format has to do with not being able to shoot moving subjects too... cause... I don't get it. I also don't really know *anything* about large format or what makes it large format... or how it works... so maybe if I did, I'd get it... but I don't... so.... I don't.

:biglaugh:

Cameras that take sheet film in holders, 4x5, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14. The larger sizes are contact-printed.

Such cameras are unsuited for rapidly moving or changing subjects. They are great for photos of rocks.

:lmao:

view_camera.gif

old-fashioned-view-camera.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Petraio Prime... can we see your work? Cause if those sports shots were your best work, you have a long way to go before you can say anything about Adams

Hey Petraio Prime... can we see your work? Cause if those sports shots were your best work, you have a long way to go before you can say anything about Adams

That kind of work is impossible using other equipment (the kind he used). You cannot compare the 'quality' of an 11x14 contact print to a 35mm neg enlarged. On the other hand, I get the best that can be gotten under the circumstances. Those were taken with a 560 mm lens. Focus was perfect. You can see the sweat dripping off the nose of the halfback.

http://www.photographyboard.net/rugby-right.jpg-857.html

http://www.photographyboard.net/rugby-game-1087.html

On this one, you'll note the ball is just breaking the plane of the goal line:

http://www.photographyboard.net/rugby-1085.html

(If you want to criticize the presence of the defender, remember that an SLR has a black-out period. He was not there when I started to take the photo.)

Soccer: Note the focus is perfect on the running boys:

http://www.photographyboard.net/chasing-the-ball-1086.html

The site does not have very good resolution. I'll upload these to this site soon.

Adams could not even dream about such shots. He had neither the equipment nor the reflexes. If it wasn't a rock or tree, he was helpless.

This kind of photography is very, very, difficult and requires years of experience, good reflexes and physical skills. If you think it's easy, just try it yourself. The players are way out in the field and you need big lenses. The slightest movement is magnified, and the angle of view is tiny (diagonal, horizontal, vertical - 4.4°, 3.7°, 2.5°) Players move in and out of the field of view and it is difficult, to say the least, to follow them. Composition is therefore very difficult.

The 'level of difficulty' is many times greater than those Adams mountain scenes so many rave about. Those shots are comparatively easy...you have all day...nothing is moving...

Try to make a perfect composition in 1/50 of a second!

Last edited:
Wedding photographers are the only real photographers.

No landscape photographers are!

No sports photojournalists!

No art photographers!

Nsync is better than the Backstreet Boys!

Ford is better than Chevy!

Canons are better than Nikon!

:banghead:

:sexywink:

...nothing is moving...

Except, of course, for the sun, the clouds, the wind, the water, and the imagination of the photographer ...

I daresay there's a big difference between technical skill and artistry. Adams had both.

Most reactions

Back