Recommended lens

Deli

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

Couple months ago I bought a 50mm f1.8 lens and I love it but sometimes I wish I could zoom in & out. So my question is, what lens do you recommend me to buy that's very similar to the 50mm f1.8 but has the feature to zoom in & out. My budget is around $350 and I don't need something that zooms in a lot somewhere around 70mm will be fine for me and I'm very sorry for the noob question. I was looking @ this lens.
AF-S NIKKOR 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED
FS: (For Sale) Nikon Lenses: 18-70mm, 28-75mm/2.8, 35mm/2 - NASIOC

Thanks-Deli

There are no zooms as fast as your 1.8.

Its only primes that have such large apertures.

Your best bet for a fast zoom is of the 2.8 variety.

You will still be able to get blurred background with one, just not as good as from fast primes. :mrgreen:

The 18-70 is an excellent lens. It's very sharp and renders colour very well, especially for a kit lens (Sample). It is however a bit slow, and is not going to give you near the low-light performance of your 1.8. As mentioned, zooms are not that fast; and fast zooms (2.8) are expensive. The 24-70 2.8 will run you $2000ish. Bottom line? I would say that you will be very happy with the 18-70, but it will NOT replace your 50 1.8; supplement it certainly NOT replace it.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Thanks-Deli

For $350 you may be able to buy a used sigma 24-70mm f2.8.

You'll need an AF motor in your camera body to drive it.

Hello everyone,

Couple months ago I bought a 50mm f1.8 lens and I love it but sometimes I wish I could zoom in & out. ......

Thanks-Deli
Oh, but you can and it's really easy too.

If you want to make the photo look like a 35 mm, take one large step backwards. To make it like a 65 mm take one large step forwards.

Most reactions

Back