Status
Not open for further replies.

tecboy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
San Jose, Cali, The Heart of Silicon Valley
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know what had happened. I used to have a lot of raw files from 2014 at the racetrack. For some reasons it is all gone except the folder and name. It was backed up periodically. Is there any chance I can recover these files?

OS? Back-up software?

This is not the first time, and this is not just raw files only. The raws I loss is from my laptop. The first time was in my desktop missing the Excel files. I think my backup hard drives don't backup every recent files.

It was backed up periodically.

So they are not in your backup?

What hard drive do you backup your files? I don't trust Western Digital anymore.

Its not likely its the hard drive.

You never said what backup software you are using.

And why are you still on Windows 8?

It was backed up periodically.

So they are not in your backup?

What hard drive do you backup your files? I don't trust Western Digital anymore.

Its not likely its the hard drive.

You never said what backup software you are using.

And why are you still on Windows 8?

The missing raw files are not in the backup drive. The backup software is WD Smartware. My laptop is very old, and I don't think I need to spend money on Windows 10. I been having issues with Smartware. I think it didn't backup everything especially recent edited raw files.

make sure that they just are not Hidden.
Some old viruses out there like to hide thing so that you think they are gone.
in you file explorer you'll have to configure it to show Hidden items, etc. just to make sure.

Otherwise go to your Periodic backup.
or try Recuva assuming the physical disk space hasn't been written over since then.

I back up all of my images manually and I usually shoot between 500-1000 shots a day.
I'll let backup software take care of most things but if it's something I NEED backed up the old saying if you want it done right really does apply here.

I back things up by copying them to another disk.
Otherwise you may be reliant on some specific backup technology.

I back up my photo files on multiple hard drives because I don't trust any hard drive. Most of my drives are Western Digital because they have been the most reliable for me. I have 3 WD Passport drives, 2 WD internal drives in external enclosures, and a 12 TB media server with WD drives. The Passports and external drives only get powered on when I need to use them. I manually copy photo files to each external drive and then to the server before I begin post processing. I repeat the process after PP. I never use WD's backup program.
It's time consuming to do it that way and it takes up a lot of hard drive "real estate" but drives are cheap.

Also, when I do a backup of my main drive, I use this free program Macrium Reflect Free | Macrium Software For me, it works very well.

Hope you find your files.

I have used this program a couple of times with pretty good success:
Recover files data from CD, DVD, flash card, hard drive with CDRoller
It isn't free but there is a trial version that should give you an idea whether or not it can recover your files. If it can recover your files it would be worth purchasing.

As far as hard drives any research I have done seems to indicate that WD is about as reliable as you can get - certain better than Seagate.

First of all the computer does not know or care, really, what kind of file. The file can be a photo, a jpg or raw file, a spreadsheet or anything else. If you say copy, the file gets copied.
I have seen some copy routines that will copy a folder but unless you say it specifically, it will not copy folders that are contained inside other folders.
Must be something other than backup involved with this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back