Recovering a memory card ASAP!

nkmaurer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So, tonight I was helping another photographer shoot a high school play. Halfway through I was going to look at the last picture I had taken and it said error memory card and no images! I had been checking them every 10 images or so before then and they were all showing up. I tried putting it into another camera and it said no images. When I put the card into my computer it brings up an error message saying the disk needs to be formatted. Anyone ever have this happen before? Anyone know of any programs to download to recover the images? It was my most used scan disk 2 gb memory card. Luckily for me it isn't a huge loss.....their were two other people there and so we each just took a different angle. But....if this were to happen during a wedding!!!! ugh, electronics!

Go to the sandisk site and see if they have a recovery program.

I think that they do but if not there are several free ones out there.

Do you reformat every time in camera or erase while it's hooked up to the computer?

I will check out that site......duh, didn't even think to do that yet!

I reformat everytime I use the card.....am I not supposed to?

Lets say that hypothetically, someone removed the card, without turning off the camera, or loaded the card, with the camera turned on. Sometimes that will cause big problems.

Yes, format the card often, they get fragmented just like anything else.

Seems strange that the card just went bad, while you were taking pictures and it was working, just before that. Especially if it was never removed from the camera.

Bad sectors, will do that. Mess up the FAT table.

If it's just the file allocation, because of a sector error, then your pictures are still there. Maybe not the last one. Easiest type of error to recover from. You can even run Norton NDD on it and get everything back.

I tried using freeundelete but it says my e: is not supported. Has anyone else used any other programs??

Try Zero Assumption Recovery ZAR, if you shoot RAW first check if images from your camera are compatible here.

I tried using freeundelete but it says my e: is not supported. Has anyone else used any other programs??

Norton Disk Diagnosis, just in case NDD was a little vague. Find any computer with Norton Systemworks on it, which shouldn't be hard.

Good luck. Hopefully all your pictures are still there.

If the camera attempted to write to a full card, it likely corrupted the contents. I just mentioned this in another thread. There are a few of such horror stories out there on various photography sites.

I hope that I am wrong and that one of your undelete programs works successfully.

Good luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back