Recovering Data from CF Card?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by CanonSnob, May 11, 2008.

1. CanonSnob

CanonSnob TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I have lots of problems right now. Another issue from my other post if you read it. One of my memory cards from the shoot tells me "No More Producing Folder" Any idea on that. I've heard you can recover images from CF cards in some manner. Hope So!

2. Rachelsne

Rachelsne TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    When I bought my CF cards they came with a disc that allows you to 'recover' lost pics, try googling the name of your cf card and the words recovery, maybe it will turn up something.

Hope you find some software

on second thoughts go to a reputable website that sells cmaera equipment or regular store and see if they have new memory cards the same brand as what you have, and see if they have them that comes with the recovery disc, and just buy it...

3. Dweller

Dweller Inconspicuous Supporter

Photos OK to edit
    I found a free util for a friend a while back to recover pics from a CF card but I do not recall the name. This site seems to list quite a number of them, and you may find something that will work for you.

http://www.ultimateslr.com/memory-card-recovery.php

4. AmericanJesus

AmericanJesus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry to hear about your problems, My old High School Graphic Arts teacher called me in the other day, she had 4 CF cards fail in 3 different rebels in the span of a week. What brand you using? The ones the school owns are scandisk.

5. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Sandisk are top of the market in SD cards and to be honest if you get them online and not from shops they are easily affordable (a lot of shops markup the price on them considerably).
    For the school I would say they should really change brands - 4 in one week is unacceptable.
    As for the OP what brand is the card - there might be a good recovery software out there for it

6. Uglulyx Takes Photos Too

Uglulyx Takes Photos Too TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Sorry, not completly sure, propably software somewhere on google. This is why I use film, no need to back up the original pictures, because they are a solid object.

7. CanonSnob

CanonSnob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    the CF card is a SanDisk UltraII 1GB. Thanks for your help. If I can get these photos of this disk it means a lot of money, that I really need right now, that I wont have to forfeit.

From my event that I didn't get home from till 3am to a race starting at 8am I shot over 100mi away from where I live. I've yet to get home load some of this software on my desktop. But when I do I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks a mill! :hail:

8. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Go to the SanDisk site they will have the recovery utility there for sure.

9. CanonSnob

CanonSnob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Talked to sandisk. They recommended, or more so told me, to use LC Technology Recovery Pro. Worked like a charm, and I have all my images back. Cost $40 but that's a lot less than what I would have had to give up if I couldn't provide the client will all the images from the show.

10. peterbj7

peterbj7 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Funnily enough I've only ever had one CF card fail in many years of using them, and guess what - it was a Sandisk. I hadn't lost any data but I couldn't write anything to it, so I just junked it. Maybe I could have recovered it. I have a range of CF cards in cameras and other devices (about 7 devices at present) and now steer clear of Sandisk. I've never had another problem.

11. hedonia

hedonia TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I would also not re-use any card that has failed, even if you were able to recover anything. Also, if you have other cards that have been getting the same amount of use, it might be safest to replace those, too. The cards seem to fail after a certain point, and if you bought them at the same time, they can all fail in quick succession (like in AmericanJesus' Anecdote). I've heard really good things about the card recovery software, though. Good luck!

12. Joves

Joves No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have never had a single problem with a Sandisk but, have had a Lexar die on me. But then again that was a few years ago. With the amount of cards produced by everyone, Im amazed there arent more failures.