Red & blue tint with ND filter

alexschwarz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi there,

just used my new ND Filter Haida ND3.0 1000x with my Sigma EX 10-20mm lens on my Nikon D7100 yesterday and somehow I couldn't manage to take a long exposure picture without a red and green tint in the Raw-Picture except one.
See picture attached, 20 second exposure f/18, ISO 100.
Any ideas why that happened and is there a way around that?

Best,
Alex

Attachments

• _DSC1054.jpg
    469.3 KB · Views: 248
Cover your viewfinder. Light is leaking in there.

A DK-5 eyepiece cover should have come with the camera. Designed to be able to be attached to the stock camera strap. If you don't have one. They are less than $5.

A DK-5 eyepiece cover should have come with the camera. Designed to be able to be attached to the stock camera strap. If you don't have one. They are less than $5.
Some ND filters will produce an overall color cast, but that's not what your example shows. This is just a band of red caused by stray light & solved by 480sparky & benhasajeep.

Whist trying to find the cover &/or waiting for the replacement to arrive, you can hang a hat over the viewfinder, or even just shade it with your hand (without touching the camera)...

Both approaches normally work reasonably for stopping light getting in via the viewfinder. :)

Ok great, thanks! Will use it next time

Most reactions

Back