RED filter for B&W

Coldow91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to get a red filter for shooting B&W film so I can get those dramatic skies and such....but I have no idea which one to get. I have heard that one a little on the orangey side of red may better but I have no idea. what do you guys use/recommend?

The #25, which used to be called the 'A' hence '25A', is the most common. You can also get the deeper red #29 but that can require a very high filter factor, because not all B&W films have good sensitivity at the far red end of the spectrum. What film are you intending to use?

Best,
Helen

I use mostly Tmax-100 and Tri-x 400. thanks for the help

Wow I was about to say just use the channel mixer, but I forgot that people here still have film cameras.

I have a 25A on my film camera. As far as dramatic skies it works reasonably well, but it could be much better. If you have very clear skies it works even better, and if it fits you could try stacking a polariser on as well.

The 29 will definitely give you more of a dramatic look, and if you're after pitch black skies it's hard to pass up an R72 (720nm cutoff IR filter) or an RM90 (900nm IR filter) and a roll of infra-red film, but that is starting to push the boundaries of abstract art then.

thanks I think that I will start with the 25A....I do want to shoot some infrared film but not yet

I am just about to buy this and can't decide between the 25A and the 29. Does anyone have a comparison or now where to find one?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back