red tails

Discussion in 'Landscape & Cityscape' started by Raymond J Barlow, Nov 15, 2006.

1. Raymond J Barlow

Raymond J Barlow TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Had some good light, and good luck with a few friendly RT's today, finally got through about 200 frames, and edited about 10. here is one of my favs, and the rest are the first 10 shots in the link below

[​IMG]

http://www.pbase.com/raymondjbarlow/recent_photos

all c/c welcome.

btw, the 1.4 TC was used on a few shots, you will see the mm in the exif. I think I will be happy to save the 1.4, and the 1.7 TC's for when the 500 mm F/4 comes along!

thanks for looking!

2. shoedumas

shoedumas Truly Canadian Eh?

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Absolutely stunning, as usual. I love the shallow DOF. It makes the Hawks seemingly pop out. I think that lens is treating you very nicely. (Other way around?:lol: )
    Anyways, very nice Ray. Always a pleasure to read your threads.

3. Raymond J Barlow

Photos OK to edit
    thank you very much., it is a real treat to have such a great lens mounted, and an awesome subject posing.

4. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    These birds must know you very well to allow you to photograph them in such detail? The red-tail shots are incredible and my favorite. Any tips for clumsy oafs like myself?

My best bird photos do no better than Bloopers & Snapshots in which they are posted and you are referenced (I hope you don't mind).

5. Raymond J Barlow

Photos OK to edit
    for sure I don't mind, but I never go in there, sorry!

Bird photography is a skill on it's own., it takes a lot of tenascity, and patience.

I started with a 70-300 lens, not long enough.. then a 80-400 lens, not sharp enough, now, a 200-400 lens, and about 17,000 dollars later, I am soso happy with my equipment. Good hardware is a key, but not everything.

Here are some "quick tips" Shoot at eye level or sklghtly higher then the bird.

Always shoot down your shadow (when you can)

the nearest object behind the bird should be as far away possible.. leaving what we call a "clean background" << this is not east to achieve, but you will see it in the above shot.

make sure your focus is on the eye, and you have enough dof to keep the whole bird in focus.

I am always trying different settings.. changing the iso, f stop, and shutter speeds. I optimal combination is different for every shot, just keep working at it, and develop "the eye" <<< very key .. an eye for detail is what I strive for every day.

at long mm, it is so important to keep the camera still., a tripod, bean bag, window rest, fence post, rock, anything to help stop the jitters! Just as important is to have a still bird, or shoot it when it is frozen... takes a very quick mind and finger.

last tip is to get out there, and stay out there.. the great bird shots are just by chance, right place, right time.. time is the key.. i sometimes am out in the field for 10-12 hours in a day, hoping, wanting working and wishing for a good chance... learn where the good birding areas are, and study their habits...
    it will come, if you put in the time.

good luck, abraxas.. hope this helps!

6. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    superb shot :thumbup: ... i also really like the ones on your webpage where its feeding in the tree.... great captures ;)

7. abraxas

abraxas No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Raymond,

It brings up a few things I haven't considered, so hopefully it will help. I have a 70-300 lens but it's kind of miserable when combined with my skills in stealth. I have a few areas I like that seem to have better opportunities and try to get out in them when I can. Now that I'm learning where and when they are active, I'm trying to learn how to work them. Thanks!