Redoing my professional head shots. Need lighting advice.

White is the worst shirt color in the world for a portrait. It stands out terrifically, and takes attention away from the face. A white shirt in almost any lighting makes the CHEST area the single brightest element in the photo, and that is the element that will advance the most. If you want people to look at your shirt, and not your face, by all means, go with a white shirt. Unless you have **immaculate** and brilliant veneers, or movie star-like bleached white teeth, the white shirt will make your teeth look yellow by comparison.

I'm not really up on the Canon zoom models and what's an upgrade or not. Good idea I think on going to an urban area that has some nice shops, as was done in the Johnny America pics shot in Australia. This time of year the light in Vegas ought to be simply GORGEOUS around 6:00-7:30 PM.

White is the worst shirt color in the world for a portrait. It stands out terrifically, and takes attention away from the face. A white shirt in almost any lighting makes the CHEST area the single brightest element in the photo, and that is the element that will advance the most. If you want people to look at your shirt, and not your face, by all means, go with a white shirt. Unless you have **immaculate** and brilliant veneers, or movie star-like bleached white teeth, the white shirt will make your teeth look yellow by comparison.

I'm not really up on the Canon zoom models and what's an upgrade or not. Good idea I think on going to an urban area that has some nice shops, as was done in the Johnny America pics shot in Australia. This time of year the light in Vegas ought to be simply GORGEOUS around 6:00-7:30 PM.

That makes good sense. I will try to plan out an outfit with a pink or blue shirt. Do you have a link to this "Johnny America" you keep referencing? I tried googling it and adding the word "Australia" but ended up with a lot of stories about Johnny Depp.

Another question, by putting my aperture to lets say 2.2-4 will I get more detail of myself? When I was looking at my original photos I could even se details of my eyebrow hairs but with the shot I uploaded earlier it is one big blur.

OH, SORRY! "My bad" it's your link, actually, but I was writing Johnny America, when it is actually Jimmy America!
Jimmy America.jpg

I would go with a lens f/stop of f/4 or f/4.5 or so on the 50mm. On your posted shot, you totally missed the focus, so there's basically zero really small detail in your face. At close ranges, if the focus is off by even six inches, a face will not have small detail whatsoever. With the lens wide-open at f/1.8 the focus must be placed very carefully; there's almost no margin for error from that distance when shooting at f/1.8.

Another question, by putting my aperture to lets say 2.2-4 will I get more detail of myself? When I was looking at my original photos I could even se details of my eyebrow hairs but with the shot I uploaded earlier it is one big blur.

What are you selling?

Real estate?

Or, eyebrow hairs?

The issue is the depth of field (DOF). You should learn to calculate/look up the DOF whenever you are setting up a shot. For a single portrait, I would think you need about 2 feet of total depth, whereas 1 foot might work if you're careful, 2 feet of depth is better. Even then the point of focus will be critical.

Designer said:
The issue is the depth of field (DOF). You should learn to calculate/look up the DOF whenever you are setting up a shot. For a single portrait, I would think you need about 2 feet of total depth, whereas 1 foot might work if you're careful, 2 feet of depth is better. Even then the point of focus will be critical.

This is true, and it is why I put the link to the field of view and depth of field calculator in an earlier post in this thread. This is REALLY a neat on-line calculator. The field of view is broken down into close-up of face, headshot, head and shoulders, upper body, and finally, full-length. Plug in your camera's sensor size, and have at it!

Here it is again. Depth of Field, Angle and Field of View, and Equivalent Lens Calculator - Points in Focus Photography

What are you selling?

Real estate?

Or, eyebrow hairs?

The eyebrows sell the real estate! Didn't you know? lol. I was just using that as a comparison area. I am watching a video now on the sweet spot of this lens and it looks like around F4 gets to be really nice especially if I keep my background far away.
OH, SORRY! "My bad" it's your link, actually, but I was writing Johnny America, when it is actually Jimmy America!View attachment 107581

I would go with a lens f/stop of f/4 or f/4.5 or so on the 50mm. On your posted shot, you totally missed the focus, so there's basically zero really small detail in your face. At close ranges, if the focus is off by even six inches, a face will not have small detail whatsoever. With the lens wide-open at f/1.8 the focus must be placed very carefully; there's almost no margin for error from that distance when shooting at f/1.8.
I see what you are talking about now. My mistake for not remembering. I tried using a manual focus spot and I certainly agree I missed it. It appears my tie is in focus when I was hoping it would be right over my eyes. I am going to study that chart you sent me so I am better prepared for when I go out and give this a try. I have to go on a weekday early or I will be dealing with far too many people walking in my background I'm sure. I'm also going to learn how to adjust my pop-up flash. I have never used it before so this will be interesting I'm sure.

.. the sweet spot of this lens and it looks like around F4 ..
Never mind the "sweet spot". It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever if the shot is out of focus.

I'm presuming that you didn't actually read any of the previous posts, so here goes again;

Get your background about 5 MILES distant. Not 50 feet, or even 150 feet. 5 MILES. Then it will be out of focus and you can set your lens at f/8 or whatever.

.. the sweet spot of this lens and it looks like around F4 ..
Never mind the "sweet spot". It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever if the shot is out of focus.

I'm presuming that you didn't actually read any of the previous posts, so here goes again;

Get your background about 5 MILES distant. Not 50 feet, or even 150 feet. 5 MILES. Then it will be out of focus and you can set your lens at f/8 or whatever.

I actually referenced it in the post right above yours saying "F4 gets to be really nice especially if I keep my background far away." Maybe I should venture out to the desert instead to make sure I get the 5 miles you mention though.

It appears my tie is in focus when I was hoping it would be right over my eyes.

Your close ratio will drop like a rock if you wear your tie over your eyes.

Unless that is, you have a sidekick who calls you "Keemosabee".

Hmmm, that might actually work. Particularly in Vegas.

The problem is, where are you gonna put the client on your horse?

Most reactions

Back