Reducing Skin Imperfections?

jamisonj

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What is a good way to reduce the imperfections visible in a subjects skin when taking the photo?

I don't want to spend a ton of time editing them.

It's almost like the camera is showing too much detail, using a D810 and shooting RAW.

I have tried just adjusting the clarity and it works quickly for some photos, I've tried adding more light and it works for some skin tones. But what other recommendations are out there?

Hire a makeup artist?

I don't want to spend a ton of time editing them.
You might consider purchasing a stand-alone portrait software.

I've never used one, but from what I understand, it's simple to use and you get very good results.

what software are you using?
something that can adjust smoothing might work. for blemishes, LR's spot removal/healing brush works fantastic.

what software are you using?
something that can adjust smoothing might work. for blemishes, LR's spot removal/healing brush works fantastic.
I am using lightroom, those brushes never seem to want to cooperate with me though...

Can you post an example photo?

The simple solution is to Select the skin and then move it a bit out of focus or just use the Focus Brush. If you do this in a separate layer you can adjust anytime. There are more complex solutions where you separate the texture from the luminescence and change just the texture.
If you need it done a lot then buy an add-in for glamour.

p.s. _I'm a Photoshop guy so see every problem as a PS PP problem.......

Do youj have PS, I can give you a simple one layer fix for blemishes, one layer color variations

Perhaps 2 years ago, I came to the conclusion that people with a ruddy and otherwise not-baby-smooth complexion know and expect pictures of them to show their complexion issues. So, I've concluded that I may use the Lightroom 'heal' function on a couple of the big pimples and maybe other similar temporary blemishes, but other than that, leave moles, scars, even rosacea (One woman that's been in a number of my photos at church has rosacea covering 2/3 of one cheek) unretouched.

I don't do portraits or other paid photography, but sometimes a small group of people may want their picture taken, or even an individual, and the resultant image shows up everything from stray facial hairs to unusually large pores, etc. One of the reasons I'll always take 3-5 shots of a small group is to get a choice of which photos to keep and which to delete. If someones' pores etc is overly prominent in one shot, I'll most likely choose one of the others as the 'keeper'.

Also, consider the finished image size and how it will be viewed. Obviously, for an image projected on a 20 foot x 15 foot screen, someone with big pores or heavy acne scarring should not be one of those images. For a 4" x 6" print, I'd have no problem giving them those prints. Remember, other than those with photo editors, very few will ever see the picture as large as we do while editing. These days, most photos get seen on someones' or a group of someones' cell phones and that's the end of it. They're not likely to see a couple of zits on a cellphone unless it's a portrait shot.

I don't do weddings, but if I did, I'd be in a real quandary if the bride or any of the bridesmaids had significant complexion problems. As they will each be the subject of many photos, you'll have to decide how much blemish correction and skin smoothing will be done in EACH (keeper) photo of that person. I've caught myself making that mistake for a high school stage performance a couple of times. Fortunately, the parents only want to see their kids and don't pay much attention to any fancy editing I may or may not have done.

Back when I used Aperture (Apple’s pro photography software) they had a skin-smoothing brush designed to deal with this. Lightroom doesn’t quite have a built-in equivalent. But the point was that it seemed to reduce contrast and focus very gently so that rough skin looked better... and it did work well.

Imagenomic makes a Photoshop & Lightroom plug-in called “Portraiture”. I haven’t used this, but here’s the link: Portraiture - Retouching Plugin for Adobe Photoshop, Photoshop Lightroom and Apple Aperture

I’m sure there are loads of alternatives.

On a side note... I’ve had friends ask me if I could touch up their portraits by removing all the wrinkles on their face, etc. I typically just reduce the opacity of the healing brush and this weakens the intensity ... but still leaves some evidence of wrinkles. I’ve shown them their wrinkle-free complexion vs. a wrinkle-reduced complexion and even they conclude that if you do too good a job at removing every wrinkle & blemish, they look fake.

Just do the work.

I frequently use light room's skin softening brush. One of the keys is not to use too much pressure nor too much opacity. Do skin smoothing dodging and burning in three passes instead of one big fell swoop. This makes it much harder to discern where work has been done. You can also use dodging, or the clone tool, or the healing brush, each in the appropriate situation to reduce skin imperfections.

Most reactions

Back