Redundancies announced today

Darfion

Soapbox guru...
Reaction score
Website
www.darfion.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As soon as I got to work this morning this was put to us by the management. Marvelous i thought! What a nice xmas present that is. 36 heads are to roll no later than 31st jan' 2004.
Volunteers are invited first then it's compulsory selection.
Spent the last 2 hours searching for alternative employment
Ah well back to the search :(

Seems like this continues to happen just about everywhere around the world right now.

I have new reason to be worried about my job as well. :roll:

Best of luck!

Sorry to hear that. The company i work for laid off 60 people two months ago. We found out it was going to happen about 10 minutes before it did. They didn't want people to worry for a long time.

I survived thankfully..... Good luck to you...

I work in a pretty recession-proof industry, medical management.... unfortunately, my latest gig is for a solo practitioner who was embezzled from by her former manager earlier this year, and it looks like she'll have to file bankruptcy. It remains to be seen whether she will be able to continue to practice in her present location or be forced to let it all go and join some corporate structure just to be an MD. A drag.

Best of luck to you in the search. :hug:

Our place brought in the Administrators some 6 months ago to hopefully sort out our cashflow problems....result, company just gone into liquidation. Lucky for me the business was split into 2 separate companies many years ago and I work for the bit that has survived. Still very lonely now as the number of employees has fallen from something like 100 to 20.

Still, chin up everyone it's nearly Christmas and next year will be the best ever.

Thanks for your kind words. It really does help. Ten years ago there was over 500 employees. Now there's only about 275. And the climate for next year looks worse than this year. Trouble is I'm not qualified enough to do the job I want but am qualified enough to do the job i DON'T :roll:

im with terri on this one. Bank officers dont get laid off. Thats why i got into it! darfion, very sorry to hear about it though, i will be drinking about you, i mean thinking about you...

md

sorry to hear that :hug:

why dont you use this time to get the training u need for the job u want, im sure u can get some kind of unemployment for a bit? ... or perhaps get training/schooling to change careers?

or perhaps we can put our heads together and start a business :D ... the hubby and i have been doing research on what kind of business we want to start/buy .. with not a lot of start-up capital :?

bogleric said:
Darfion said:
MDowdey said:
i will be drinking about you, i mean thinking about you...

md
No. You're right first time. 8)
Whoah! here goes another pyramid :D

if you insist....

wouldn't it be drinking to you.... have another round to drink to darfion
I'll second that :wink:

Was told today, by one of the manangers, that about 70 employees have enquired, in writing, about the pay-off. ie. What sort of cash they would get if they decided to volunteer. Probably 90% of these where just out of curiosity and have no intention of applying. Nevertheless, this is nearly 50% of the required heads.
If i can get another job soon I'll put my name into the hat, so to speak. I've often found that "word-of-mouth" gets better results than just cold-calling on selected employers.

Hi Darren,
From personal experience I can guess how you feel with a family to support...my sincere sympathies!
Always at the end of the year huh?
Merry Christmas...Ho bloody Ho!
There's one bright spot on the horizon, the economy generally is looking up and that means more job opportunities.
Up until I cleared my early fifties (that's age not drinks) the next job I went to was always an improvement in pay and conditions so I'm sure it will get better for you, at least I sincerely hope so.
I was always told to keep a stiff upper lip...just above my weak flabby chin.
A man of your caliber will have no problems...good luck and happy Christmas!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back