gpardo64

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Reflecting Our Distortions (BESP 4)

This week assignment was about reflections. The objective was to get some reflections from any type of objects (shiny materials, mirrors, water, etc). Also the object shouldn’t be shown at all and hopefully it is going to show up distorted.

Settings

D5000,
#1: 1/125, ISO 100, f/11, Handheld.
#2: 1/45, ISO 100, f/6.7, Handheld.
#3: 1/125, ISO 100, f/11, Handheld.

#1 Big Mirrors

4488122923_066ba08147.jpg

#2 The Mast

4491760156_d35456b005.jpg

#3 THE Reflection

I am sorry for showing more than 2 pics, this may not be necessary my best shot out of the 3, but I needed to show this one because I think, this is our official reflection image here in the US. It was taken in the Reflecting Pool in Washington today

4491118367_c413a62ffd.jpg

Please give me your comments, they will be really welcome!

#1 & #2 are nice.

#1 is colorful, interesting, just riding the border between abstract and.... something else.... to me at least.

#2... also interesting. I don't like the white bubbles in the water, but what can ya do?

I think the water ripples at the bottom are killing #3. It becomes obviously a reflections of something in water and nothing more. The reflection itself isn't very intersting... dull color, not the sort of crazy movement like in #2.

I think images 1 and 2 are good. I like how you spotted the random arrangement of the tiles in the first scene,and how it was framed. The second photo looks sort of like some type of oil slick or leakage of some type of heavy oil or light grease,and is visually a bit perplexing, which is nice,and fun to look at. The last photo though is disappointing--it just does not offer much visual reward.

The second photo looks sort of like some type of oil slick or leakage of some type of heavy oil or light grease,and is visually a bit perplexing, which is nice,and fun to look at.

Derrel, you'll be more perplexed now, the second photo was a mast of a small vessel that was parked by the shore; the image came out completely distorted and kind of funny as you said.

I was wondering what happened to the BESP posts! I hadnt seen one in a while.

I like the second one best. It looks like mustard, at first glance. :)

I do like the first one, but it's not as interesting as the second. It's nice, but I just dont think it makes a very intersting picture. I'm not sure why. This is a really bad critique, but I honestly cant think of a way to describe what I'm thinking!

Love, love, love the first two.

#1 has a nice color harmony, well "placed", and the shapes help lead your eye around. Cool shot. gpardo, did you have to move around a lot to find a nice reflection?

#2 I really like. I like trying to figure out what the reflection is. I can tell it's in water because of the bubbles. I think if there were no bubbles I could really be confused that this is sky rather than water. Whatcha gonna do. Nice find!

Love #1. I like the variation in size and the lines of color. It's a really neat mosaic and it kept me staring for a while.

I like #2, but maybe clone out a few of the bubbles. They take away from the main subject IMO.

#3: Would have worked better at the break of dawn, or on a calmer day. I feel if you are shooting a landmark, or the reflection of one, it should probably be easier to recognize.

Cool shot. gpardo, did you have to move around a lot to find a nice reflection?

Yes Bitter. This object was all around reflections (really lucky I found it). However some of them were too shiny or you could identify easily the reflected object. I had to take several shots and later on crop them to decide which one was the best for the assigment. Some how when cropping I was doing composition to get the most interesting tile array.

I absolutely love #2, the bubbles don't even bother me. I thought this was a picture of a Dali painting or something... I had no idea it was water til I read it.

I also like #1 and it follows the guidelines as everyone as been describing them (although #2 did it better IMO).

#3 is not nearly as good as the others. Plus I knew what it was at a glance.

Great job shooting these!

Bekah

#1 is really cool, I like the texture of the reflections inside of the texture of the surface. Good colors and composition.

#2 I like it, but could not help thinking "mustard".

#3 I assume you put this in more for where you were rather than for the assignment, it is not as interesting as the others.

I'm on the bandwagon for liking #1 & #2 and agree with Pharmakon that some additional editing of #2 is in order.

I was thinking #3 might benefit from a less centered composition.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back