Reflection question

yamadak13

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Can anyone tell me what caused this or how to avoid this? The green tree trunk reflection/ghost in the picture just left of center.

DSC_0939.jpg

Did you have a filter on your lens? You have some ghosting going on there. I took your image and cut out that section, mirrored and flipped it, and it is a perfect match to the bright green tree trunk to the right of the "ghost". It was pretty obvious before-hand, but I just wanted to check.

Ghosting is reflections of light bouncing back-and-forth within the lens elements, and filters usually enhance this. Whenever I take night shots with a lot of bright lights, I always take any filters off the lenses.

Did you have a filter on your lens? You have some ghosting going on there. I took your image and cut out that section, mirrored and flipped it, and it is a perfect match to the bright green tree trunk to the right of the "ghost". It was pretty obvious before-hand, but I just wanted to check.

Ghosting is reflections of light bouncing back-and-forth within the lens elements, and filters usually enhance this. Whenever I take night shots with a lot of bright lights, I always take any filters off the lenses.

I did have a UV filter on the lens. I'll be sure to remove it before I do any more night photos. It did it mostly with the green light for some reason. Thanks for the input.

DSC_0914.jpg

Hmm, i never take off my UV filter or polarisation ones .. might try and experiment with that when photographing at night.

(Love the 2nd picture btw. Can't see what's going on, yet there's a clear "point" and subject to it .. nicely done)

X

I did have a UV filter on the lens. I'll be sure to remove it before I do any more night photos. It did it mostly with the green light for some reason. Thanks for the input.

DSC_0914.jpg

Very nice shot.

What happens with a filter is the scene reflects off of the front element of the lens, then backwards off of the back face of the flat filter, captured by the sensor as seen in your first shot.
I normally always keep some sort of filter on my lenses just for the protection factor, but this is one instance where you need to take the leap and remove it.

Hmm, i never take off my UV filter or polarisation ones
I take my polarizer filters off whenever I'm not shooting outdoors in sunny condition. They steal some light, so unless you want longer shutter speed, you probably don't want to keep them on when they aren't doing anything for you.

Most reactions

Back