reflection reduction

grafxman

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I can't seem to do anything to eliminate or even reduce reflections from transparent plastic materials. My circular polarizing filters do a decent job on glass and water but are completely useless when I encounter plastic. Anybody have any ideas?

LIGHT: Science and Magic. An Introduction To Photographic Lighting. By Hunter, Biver, and Faqua.

Will the book tell me how to eliminate reflections like these:

4631822828_3005059a58.jpg

4631821200_2da6001295.jpg

I realize if one is in complete control of the light then reflections can be controlled however, as you can see from the photos, I am frequently in situations where i have little or no control.

yup, and more. polarization is most effective around 30 degrees from the reflecting surface. Another approach you can use is to use a rubber lens hood, and hold it tight to the glass, so no light is reflected, with a longerish lens you won't even know the glass is there. With shorter lenses, you need to be sure the glass is clean.

Thanks everyone. The book's on order from Amazon.

LIGHT: Science and Magic. An Introduction To Photographic Lighting. By Hunter, Biver, and Faqua.

I like what I read in the review, it looks more like a book of information than a book written for sales.

Thanks!

Will the book tell me how to eliminate reflections like these:

I realize if one is in complete control of the light then reflections can be controlled however, as you can see from the photos, I am frequently in situations where i have little or no control.
When you don't have control of the light, there are limits to what you can do.

There is also a difference between reflections off smooth translucent surfaces, and shooting through various substances because they all have different refractive indexes and properties.

Last edited:
The effect of particularities in digital images. Our approach relies on a simple modification of the capture setup: a multi-flash camera is used to take multiple pictures of the scene, each one with a differently positioned light source. We then formulate the problem of specular highlights reduction as solving a Poisson equation on a gradient field obtained from the input images. Experimental results are demonstrated on real and synthetic images. The entire setup can be conceivably packaged into a self-contained device, no larger than existing digital cameras.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back