Reflections C&C

JAFO28

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I took this a few days ago, initially I liked it, but then started having second thoughts. Any opinions, good or bad would be greatly appreciated, as well as tips for improvement. Thanks.

4525097320_f725a71e59_o.jpg

In addition to above, could really use something in the foreground... a rock coming out of the water or a small piece of land perhaps, it wouldn't take much... this would give a good 'grounded' feeling and give the reflection a greater feeling of perspective.

My eye is led from the horizon, which is the strongest subject, downward to the bottom following the lines of the clouds but isn't paid off when it gets there, nor is there anything keeping me in the frame... it's just more of the same until the edge. Then I go back to the horizon as it strongly grabs attention... my eyes reset and I float upward exploring for something else but again am not paid for my exploration.

Thanks for the responses. I totally agree with having a forground element. I think thats why I started having doubts about the image. It's a cranberry bog so there's not much available in the forground. Thanks again i'll see if I can try something else in that area.

I'm looking at this again, realising that the reflection you're showing here is mostly vapour trails from the sky above, and this makes me want to only share an observation I made yesterday (and will make today and tomorrow, I guess) about our skies here just now (sorry, this is just rambling and offers no critique on the photo as such, as all's been said already): our sky is all void of vapour trails just now! Not one to be seen. NOT ONE! Which is rare ... but it's all Eyjafjallajökull's "fault", as there must not be any planes up in the air all over northern Europe just now because of the volcano ashes up there.

LaFoto it's funny you say that. The only time I can remember the sky around here being void of vapor trails was after 9/11. Where I live in the northeast U.S. there's a lot of air traffic overhead. Yes that volcanic ash can reek havoc on a jet engine.

This would have been perfect to hdr. The sky is blown out, to allow for the water to be properly exposed. Or, you could tonemap it by taking it into photoshop, adjusting the levels by using curves (i normally go and take the center dot straight up one box, or a half of a box depending, save that as my +1. Do it again. +2. Then go back to the original and do the same going downwards). Then you can take it into photomatix and create and hdr image using the five "exposures."

Just my 2 cents. I also agree about the foreground element.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back