Reflectors... are these ok? Ebay $42 shipped. Too good to be true?

They look ok the only thing i see is because of the material the silver and others look like it might be difficult to get them really smooth and if they have wrinkles and stuff you might cast some wierd light patterns.

Wrinkles on these won't cast any weird light patterns.

Actually the wrinkles often add to the sparkle of the metalic surfaces. They all have them.

It's not too good to be true in this case. In fact I think you may actually be getting ripped off. It's a metal ring with a few pieces of cloth on them and I've seen them for $15 ex shipping before.

Advice:

1 - Decide if you want or need the reflectors.

2 - Do a bit of research - check out other suppliers, the seller's reputation etc.

3 - Reduce the risk of getting into a competive bidding situation by not bringing the item to the attention of a photographic forum.

Advice:

1 - Decide if you want or need the reflectors.

2 - Do a bit of research - check out other suppliers, the seller's reputation etc.

3 - Reduce the risk of getting into a competive bidding situation by not bringing the item to the attention of a photographic forum.

1 - Need softer light during daylight to reduce harsh shadows. Recently I put a strobe in an umbrella and I really had to crank that strobe up to get the results I was wanting...seemed like a lot of wasted light. A friend recommended getting some reflectors, saying they do wonders. So, I found these fairly large reflectors. To sum it up... I think I need them... :D

2 - Sellers reputation is great.

3 - I'm not a terribly competitive bidder, and I am definitely glad I asked the forum.

Alright... so here's what it seems...

I should keep my eyes open...look for better prices...etc. These products are actually OK, even though they're wrinkled. Sounds great. I will keep my eyes open, and eventually make a purchase. Thanks TPF!

i have a round one. I like it.

They're not too shabby. After all, many of the reflectors you buy in the US are of the same famous Chinese quality. I can't comment specifically on reflectors, though I will say that I've seen other similar lighting accessories on ebay (softboxes, umbrellas, etc) that are not built particularly well. That shouldn't be quite as much of an issue with a reflector. But if you're constantly velcro-ing different surfaces onto the reflector, it may fall apart after a little while if not constructed well.

got my reflector from Amvona on ebay. 20 dollars for a reflector. you're getting ripped off.

got my reflector from Amvona on ebay. 20 dollars for a reflector. you're getting ripped off.

How big of reflector did you get?

Also, how big of reflector do you need?

I have a similar inexpensive one that I bought a while back. I love it, but the silver coloring is starting to flake off. Cheap paint? The rest are holding up well.

I went to Walmart and bought a couple of pieces of foam core board. I left one of them white and spray painted the other one gold on one side and silver on the other. Cost me under $10 for everything.

If you do a quick ebay search you'll see there is no chance of being caught in a competitive bid on reflectors. There's literally 30 sellers each with a buy it now options ;)

I went to Walmart and bought a couple of pieces of foam core board. I left one of them white and spray painted the other one gold on one side and silver on the other. Cost me under $10 for everything.

I tried something similar but got sick of it. These here are huge open, and fold up in a lovely little circle.

Alright, I bought something. I took advice and did a bunch of research.

I ended up spending 27.98 Total (shipping and product) for a set of 43" circular reflectors. They are from a reputable company, and most importantly...from the US. (nothing is wrong with china, I have bought a lot from there) but shipping will be nice and quick.

Well thanks everyone for the advice!

Now, any advice on how to use one of these??? :D

Alright, I bought something. I took advice and did a bunch of research.

I ended up spending 27.98 Total (shipping and product) for a set of 43" circular reflectors. They are from a reputable company, and most importantly...from the US. (nothing is wrong with china, I have bought a lot from there) but shipping will be nice and quick.

Well thanks everyone for the advice!

Now, any advice on how to use one of these??? :D

use it to reflect light onto your subject for fill, or as a main light if you are working indoors but still want natural light.

might I ask what company you used?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back