Reflectors

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by nkmaurer, Feb 5, 2008.

1. nkmaurer

nkmaurer TPF Noob!

I know this is a loaded question but help would be appreciated.....

I am looking for a reflector because I want to get more contrast and depth in my faces, or however you want to say it. My 2 light set-up right now, my faces just seem kinda flat and blah... also, I am trying to move to shooting without flash outdoors and would need a reflector for this.

My question is.......what size reflector should I look for, and what are the best prices to get a nice reflector?? Also, I won't have help so I either would need a stand or one that can set up on its own.

Just trying to get an idea on what everyone is using and the best place to get one from

Thanks!

2. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    litedisc is a very popular reflector. They make all kinds of sizes and colours...
    You can always just clip one to a lightstand.

3. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Your lighting ratios determine that. What is your placement normally? do you just have a key and fill both at 45 degrees to the subject? Kickers? background lights? hair lights? Do you even know what key, fill, and kickers even mean?

Scrims and the location determine that too, not just reflectors.

4. nkmaurer

nkmaurer TPF Noob!

5. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    without even looking at the pictures, i can tell you right now that you'll never be able to drop out the background without one of your lights act as a background light. move the umbrella behind the subject, pointing at the wall behind them, and you'll notice the background get brighter.

Do yourself a favor and buy a book at barns and noble about lighting, it will help IMMENSELY.