reflectors

Southerngal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There are so many reflectors out there, what is best for outdoor photography?

One that reflects. Mine is a sheet of cardboard. It is white on one side, and a glued aluminium foil (matte side up) to the other side.

They all do the same thing. You can get hybrid ones of ebay that have silver gold white and grey all in one. Silver will probably be used most often. So make sure you get one of those in which ever you buy.

I use one of those things that blocks the sun from your car. Has a nice silver reflective side. Works just fine.

I have used a piece of foam coar board. I got it at Wal-mart. It was sold as a tri-fold message board. Think of science fair display. it is about 3 ft. high and has 3 sections about 2 ft wide and folds together for transport. I also have a few of the pop-out type that came with some Westcott Spyderlites. They work great and are easier to transport. But at a much higher price. They all work.

I've always used Lastolite
http://www.lastolite.com/originalreflectors.php
Light, fold up small and come in a whole range.
The best is white on one side and foil on the other.
A white reflector will give you soft neutral light - good for sunlight.
Silver will give you a hard neutral light (more edge to shadows and more contrast) - good for when the light is diffuse.
Gold or bronze coloured reflectors are known as Californias. The give a hardish light that imparts warmth and makes skin look slightly tanned. Hence the nickname: they give the effect of lying on the beach in California :lol:

I just got my photoflex 32" White/gold (foil like fabric). It seems to be of real high quality and it was only $37 shipped from adorama. I think it retails for $64. It works great. I would imagine the lower quality ones work just fine as well. Adorama has some 5+1 reflectors, I think im going 2 try their 22" one next.

Most reactions

Back