Reflex mirror staying up

wheel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been familiar with digital photography for a long time, but a few days ago I was able to take photos with my grandfather's Asahi Pentax SV. Everything worked great, but now, after exposing the film for 1 second, the reflex mirror is staying up. There is no way to let it fall in place again.

What can I do ? It's the first time I'm taking photos on film and I was wondering which results I could obtain :wink:

You can try gently pulling the mirror down with your fingers or just advance
and fire the shutter a few times to see if it will come down.

Otherwise, it's a service issue (not too uncommon on the early screw-mount
Pentax models).

Try changing the battery.

A lot of times this is caused from the foam that acts as a cushion for the mirror to rest against in the up position is gummy from age. Gently pull it down with a fingernail and it should snap down if this is the issue. If so, the foam can be easily replaced very cheaply.

Thanks for the replies. I haven't had the time to bring it for service, but I have followed the tips given in this thread.

First I cleaned the foam (it was very gummy indeed), and I thought the problem was solved. But than I had the same issue again, and I took a closer look. It seems that sometimes the shutter curtain doesn't close properly. By pushing it softly (so it does close), the mirror falls back into place. So the reason for this problem is the shutter curtain.

I have been trying a lot to fix it (although I didn't force anything), and a new problem has appeared: when I cock the rapid wind lever, the reflex mirror comes up... :er:

OK. No cause for alarm here. Just place the camera on the floor and make sure you have lots of space in every direction locally around the camera. Now, strip nekked and jump up and down around the camera while chanting the lyrics to One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer. If that doesn't work, try some Nickleback.

In all seriousness, I got no idea. Sounds like your garden variety gremlin.

Try changing the battery.

Battery has nothing to do with the return of the mirror. Most likely what jstuedle mentioned is the cause. Degraded mirror damper foam. Let me know if you need some and I'll send you some free of charge.

The problem is in the shutter mirrow release. If the shutter is not closing all of the way it aint gonna take many great pictures. I would say pro help in needed, However, go to the library and look for camera repair books. It most likly needs to be cleaned. Cameras are almost never serviced anymore. Thats what you need. BY the way- just check that the mirrow lock up is released.
Judge Sharpe

Most reactions

New Topics

Back