refurbished camera bodies

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by DuckSpaz, Mar 24, 2007.

1. DuckSpaz

DuckSpaz TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello, I am a new member to the site, I have recently decided to make the jump from a point and shoot to a digital SLR (more based on my financial situation, if it were up to me i would have had one a long time ago), I have shot several and really like the canon 20d, however I can only find this camera in factory refurbished models (with the exception of some special discount camera websites which i have been warned about for shady business practices). Adorama camera offers a refurbished 20d for a good deal and you can even add a full warranty, However I am still skeptical.

Can anyone offer insight as to the pros/cons of purchasing a refurbished body? Should I go for it, or just purchase a new camera (my next choices would be either the rebel xti or 30d, i would prefer the 30d for the faster burst rate, as i shoot mainly waterfowl action shots)

Thanks for your feedback ahead of time,
    Brian

2. darich

darich TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Brian

i bought a refurbished Canon 5D from Canon Outlet on Ebay. With the refurbished body i got all the packaging and software you would with a brand new model.
    I also got a full year warranty because it was from the official Canon outlet.

I see no major problem with a refurb body but make sure the warranty is good - if it's the same as the new model then it's ideal since you won't get anything better than that. Many shops though will only offer a 3 month or 6month warranty so it's a case of balancing the saving against the length of the warranty. In my case it was a no brainer but it would depend on the warranty and of course the reputation of the store you buy from.

3. Oldfireguy

Oldfireguy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have two and never had a problem. You can always get an extended warranty.