Refurbished camera

lkWinnipesaukee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Canon guys, please help me.

I'm considering buying a refurbished 20D on eBay. What exactly does Canon do to refurbish a camera? I am mostly concerned about the shutter and whether it was replaced with a new one.

I think it a safe bet, no manufacturer would replace a good shutter. Unless they determine there to be a problem with the shutter, it won't be touched except to verify correct speeds.

I don't see any problem buying refurbished (if done by the manufacturer). Cons? At worst there might be a sticker or mark to indicate that it's been refurbished. Pros: You get it significantly cheaper, and should still get a warranty and the other benefits of buying new.

I know of two cameras that friends have bought refurbished, not a problem at all, and saved money besides. Other than buying off of ebay, I wouldnt hesitate. B&H and Adorama have had factory refurbished 20Ds from time to time.

Is there a possibility that there will be scratches on the body or other visable damage?

I do a lot of "business" on eBay, so I know how to buy and stay safe; no problems in that regard.

I don't have any experience with refur. but I would guess that they would put some lipstick on them before resell.

I am sure you already know to check return policy.

Try asking the seller about the general condition. Good luck.

I've rarely purchased anything new... (I'm cheap ok..)

Refurbs and used... all carry risks but refurbs usually carry some sort of warantee if from the manufacturer.

I don't have any experience withh refurbished cameras, but I do have with a laptop. It was a great purchase: saved money and never had a problem (couldn't say the same of my not refurbiushed but brand-new and best-brand other laptop!!). I wouldn't hesitate going for a refurbished camera. As a matter of fact, I normally go for second hand ones, which is far more risk, and am glad with the results so far

Yeah, just check to see if it is "Factory Refurbished". It will than have hte same warranty as a new item from manufacturer and pass there standards for "Like new" condition.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back