Regal Eagle

Miki

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Saw this gentleman sunning himself after a brief shower at the zoo. Very calm, composed... dignified. Quite a sight.
I'm aware there's quite a few flaws, starting with the odd crop. I'm also really looking for technical comments/critique about the post-processing since this is my first attempt at a final digital image from a raw file . I ran it through what i believe are standard clean-up tools in Capture & PhotoShop CS.
The stats: D70, 70-300 lens @ 300. F5.6, 1/40, ISO 200.

EDIT: Added Original raw image.

SMALL:

28703198_5b26ca6eee_b.jpg

ORIGINAL:

29382664_2d7b68dac8_b.jpg

LARGE:

Bald_Eagle1.jpg

Great shot! (Although it would be nice if you could resize the photo to around 800 pixels please)

Those feathers are really captivating eventhough it is a little over exposed on the white areas of his head. I can't really comment on the composition coz I have to scroll around to see the whole photo. I wish I had the patience for these great animal photos.... hmmm someday.

Very cool pic. The larger version is amazing. A lot of detail in the feathers. Well done

from what i can see, you have a stunning image of our nations bird! any chance you could show us a larger view?

Thanks for the comments, Meysha, Chiller & Jon !!
:)

wow Miki what detail! thanks for resizing!

(i'll get with you soon regarding the PM)

Great shot Miki! Love it..

It's so hard to get a really crisp shot in these low lighting situations,.. I always try to manual focus on the eyes and face. Looks like your focus was on the feathers near the front of the image., and since you had shallow dof, the head is not to sharp.

I always try to use at least f8 in all my shots.. @ 125 to help hold the image due to my shakey hands. I would crank up the iso to help., at least 1000 in dim conditions.

This baldy is especially tough to shoot, with having a white head, its really difficult to get a good overall exposure. good luck, looking fwd to seeing more of your work!

Really good shot. Makes me want to dig up my old eagle shot from the local zoo...

Good shot Miki, I am impressed that you got the picture so sharp using 1/40 of a sec @300, where you trained as a sniper ? ;) Without a tripod I would not attempt it under 1/125 of a sec and even then I would be using something to help support myself, but then again I love coffee. Good exposure also.

Thanks for the comments, Mako.

Rikwriter, i'm glad you pulled out the eagle pic after all. I like it.

Raymond, i did shoot this handheld, i'm as surprised as you are that it turned out as good as it did.

Actually, I hate the exposure, composition & focus of this image myself. My purpose for posting this one was to get a review about my first attempt at processing. Compared to the original, it does look a little over-processed - it'll take me some more practice to figure out the balance. Any tips/tricks/websites are appreciated.

Will post more soon. Thanks for the comments, everyone.

Most reactions

Back