Not open for further replies.

AgentDrex

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While I may be chastised for linking to this thread: I am deleting my own account I feel that a discussion is in need.

There have been a couple threads/posts other than that one indicating an abusive and clique-ish nature here at TPF. I've been going through a few of the threads started by newbies and cannot find any real abuse. I have found some sarcastic remarks that are irrelevant to the OP (I'm very guilty of doing that and I apologize) but I have found absolutely no indication of any abusive language. In my mind, abusive language would be along the lines of: "Hey there, nice photo, are you a monkey? Certainly only a monkey could sling poo that looks as good as that photo.", "Tell you what, sell your camera, buy a gun and go shoot yourself you lame duck.", "I didn't realize such a fata** could get their fat fingers into a position to take a photo."

I've seen posts telling people to re-think their plan of starting a business taking photos until they know how to take photos properly. I don't see how brute honesty is abusive when it is shown that the OP has no business sense and they have fooled themselves into believing that a business will thrive by just taking photos.

I tell people to grow a thick skin, not to harden themselves against abuse (which again I have not seen yet, I haven't gone through all the threads) but to harden themselves for the inevitable honest and insightful critique that may bruise their ego.

I don't want to turn this discussion into a war but I would like to do some discovery with these supposed abusive posts. As long as a mod doesn't lock this thread for one reason or another, would you be so kind to link to a thread where real abuse is apparent so that we can report it? I attempt to be kind but I do have a tendency to either hijack threads with my nonsense or to make sarcastic replies to others' sarcastic replies. Again, I apologize for that.

Last edited:
This so called "abuse" has done nothing but help me become a better photographer.

This so called "abuse" has done nothing but help me become a better photographer.

Cool! I will be more than happy to "help" with that..lol! You... Photographer, you! Shooter of glass penguins!

I joined this forum in April 2011, which is just a few months shy of 2 years ago. I posted my favorite photograph of my daughter and sat back and waited to be lauded for my genius! I got shredded, and my immediate response to the person was to shred them back with some diatribe about him being abused by his father or some other such nonsense. I distinctly remember Bitter's response to my post: "Another NewB bites the dust." I was crestfallen because I was certain that I was pure genius. The shredder came back to me with "what else can I say besides your photographs suck?" I was not a happy camper.

But, here I am 2 years later, a MUCH better photographer for sticking around and learning something and what do you know, but I have actually made friends with some of the people on this forum. I am very happy that I stuck around. For those of you who join this forum and have thin skin, my message is as follows: Suck it up, read and listed with your ears open, ask questions and post photos. Learn and you will enjoy the forum. But you gotta have thick skin.

'Nuff said.

Cool! I will be more than happy to "help" with that..lol! You... Photographer, you! Shooter of glass penguins!

They are snowmen...fvcking get it right Charlie!

That is my point.. your image (avatar) is of such "small" proportions.. that I can't tell the difference with my old, failing eyes... so that makes it your fault! ;)

I joined this forum in April 2011, which is just a few months shy of 2 years ago. I posted my favorite photograph of my daughter and sat back and waited to be lauded for my genius! I got shredded, and my immediate response to the person was to shred them back with some diatribe about him being abused by his father or some other such nonsense. I distinctly remember Bitter's response to my post: "Another NewB bites the dust." I was crestfallen because I was certain that I was pure genius. The shredder came back to me with "what else can I say besides your photographs suck?" I was not a happy camper.

But, here I am 2 years later, a MUCH better photographer for sticking around and learning something and what do you know, but I have actually made friends with some of the people on this forum. I am very happy that I stuck around. For those of you who join this forum and have thin skin, my message is as follows: Suck it up, read and listed with your ears open, ask questions and post photos. Learn and you will enjoy the forum. But you gotta have thick skin.

'Nuff said.

I agree.. your photos do suck much less than they used to! :greenpbl: (yea.. JOKING!)

That is my point.. your image (avatar) is of such "small" proportions.. that I can't tell the difference with my old, failing eyes... so that makes it your fault! ;)

First off...blame TPF. Its as large as they'll let me upload. Second, there is this thing called an optometrist. He/she can help you with your old ass eyes.

I like the humor like anyone else but there is a very real seriousness to this issue. If there really are abusive members beating up newbies, they need to be reported and exposed. I love TPF and don't want its named tarnished because someone cannot control their language. This doesn't mean we sugar-coat anything but honesty and abuse are separate. Telling someone their photo isn't good and then describing what they could do to improve the image is not the same as the abusive person who says that the photos suck and says nothing else (THAT is abusive). You can choose the words you use. Instead of saying a photo sucks, say a photo isn't working...

Make light of it all you want but that's what wrong with the whole world. We cover up abuse and bullying through mocking, laughter, sweeping it up under rugs and I will not stand here at this place and let it go downhill because people cannot take abuse seriously. There's a difference between a towel slap between friends and a punch in the face of someone new here. So seriously, where is the abusive threads? I've yet to see any.

Almost a whole page and no real discussion into this problem. Is that not an indication of something to anyone else?

Last edited:
It is sort of like driving around and someone flips you the bird....30 years ago I would have followed that person to the moon and back....... today I just shrug it off, not worth it.

First off...blame TPF. Its as large as they'll let me upload. Second, there is this thing called an optometrist. He/she can help you with your old ass eyes.

A good photographer never blames his equipment, or his forum! :) :greenpbl:

:hug::

I am a newb who just posted my first photos, and I thought it would be worse. I have to say everyone was surprisingly polite.
C

I am a newb who just posted my first photos, and I thought it would be worse. I have to say everyone was surprisingly polite.
C

I see you haven't met me yet! :thumbdown: :grumpy:
thumbno.gif
:grumpy:
thumbno.gif
:x !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back