regional food (S/O ..Misconceptions)

Tangerini

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The other post's meanderings got me wondering... if you've been someplace foreign for a prolonged amount of time what foods from home did you miss...

Or, if you haven't been in that situation, what are some of your favorite local foods?

Any time I go abroad I quite soon begin to miss our bread!

I've been told there are no local 'flavors' here and that the midwest is bland. :er:

You've been lied to! Chicago Pizza, Chicago Hotdogs...

Then there's the high-starch, high-protien (meat and potatoes) combination of German, Irish and Scandinavian foods that have kept generations of farmers feeding the rest of these people. :)

It may not be exciting fare, but midwestern fare will keep you going.

I've never been anywhere far for too long, but when we lived in Atlanta I did miss the type of Mexican food you get here...

My husband however has a long list of foods he misses.. Steak and kidney pie, HP sauce, Hobnobs, real Cadbury chocolate bars, licorice allsorts, fruit pastilles... on and on... we can get most of these in specialty shops, but they can be fairly expensive.

I'm not sure we have many 'specialties' here. There are Rocky Mountain oysters...:confused: uh, but they're not my cup of tea...

going abroad for more than a month for me means missing the German bread!

Actually, I even know British soldiers who were stationed in Germany ... and now that they are back in the UK, they miss the German bread too :)

Yes, we are proud of our bread :p

If in Asia for a prolonged period of time I usually start missing potatos as well.

oh, and when in Germany, I miss chips with salt&vinegar, real ale, trifles, real ale, spotted dick, real ale, parsnips, real ale , ... ;)

oh, and when in Germany, I miss chips with salt&vinegar, real ale, trifles, real ale, spotted dick, real ale, parsnips, real ale , ... ;)

:thumbup:

Yeah, well, Alex, that message was just SO hidden :lol:

What is (a) spotted dick ... I know quite a bit about England but obviously not enough (though I am not sure I really-really-really want to know.... :scratch: .... but since this is a thread on food, I dare to ask ...

33 years ago I lived in the Marshall Islands for a year in the military. I missed real milk and eggs more than anything. Ours were powdered.

Two years ago I spent a month shooting photos of migrant farm workers in Mexico. There were a couple of things I missed. Fresh vegies other than tomatoes and peppers and being able to drink tap water.

(though I am not sure I really-really-really want to know.... :scratch: .... but since this is a thread on food, I dare to ask ...

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

it is dessert, high colesterole, very yummy .... my favourite besides all those sponges and what else :)

EDIT: removed a funny spelling ;)

When I travel, which isn't often, I miss the fresh seafood. :)

I miss the real flavor and taste of the real veggies. All we get here (in the States) are grown fast, most of the time not really ripened. For example Tomatoes. They do have a great flavor and taste when taken off the vine but none of the above when purchased as 'fresh off the vine' from the supermarkets.

I do miss the bread, in general.

Also, I crave for some good stuffed grape leaves...mmm...

Most reactions

Back