Registering a Domain

Pure

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need a good, reliable, non-asshole registrar. I've heard too many horror stories about Godaddy and 1and1, so don't recommend them.

The requirements:

www.colincbassett.com
2 Years
Private Registration
1 or 2 Mailboxes, 1 or 2gb storage
Email forwarding is optional, but could be useful.

And that's pretty much it.

Basically all I need to do is register a domain for my Zenfolio page. I'd like a registrar that's not going to somehow charge me $1000 and get away with it.

Don't know where you hear horror stories on GoDaddy domain hosting. I've only heard negatives in their website hosting.

I've been using GoDaddy domain hosting for 3 years - not one problem - ever. However, there are plenty out there, just do a Google search or...Bing Search? =)

I don't understand why people think it cost's ridiculous amounts money to set up a site. My domain, which is a .com, cost me $30 for 2 years. You don't need to worry about mailboxes or storage, this will be decided by your web host site, not domain registration site. There are plenty of sites out there that will offer cheap hosting.

I don't need hosting because I'm using Zenfolio for my hosting. I merely need www.colincbassett.com to forward to colincbassett.zenfolio.com

Don't know where you hear horror stories on GoDaddy domain hosting. I've only heard negatives in their website hosting.

I've been using GoDaddy domain hosting for 3 years - not one problem - ever. However, there are plenty out there, just do a Google search or...Bing Search? =)
+1......I have several domains registered with GoDaddy and have had for many years. I've even used them to host web sites and have never had a customer service problem with them.

Many people have trouble keeping urban legend separate from reality.

To me GoDaddy was a pain to use, but it worked... I guess I wanted more/better control at my fingertips.

I don't need hosting because I'm using Zenfolio for my hosting. I merely need www.colincbassett.com to forward to colincbassett.zenfolio.com

I used Godaddy to do that exact thing and it worked like a charm. It will also let you set it up so both www.colincbasset.com and collincbasset.com forward to your site.

I have since upgraded my zenfolio account to where it shows www. siderphoto. com (spaces added because of TPF's format change) in the web address all the time. I believe the domain costs me about 10-15/year through go-daddy and it works flawlessly. Click the link in my sig to see for yourself. They also give you one free email account too I believe.

also curious about the godaddy horror stories...ive had multiple site from them for years, and never a single issue.

i guess i dont have anyone to recommend then.

What I've heard are stories that Godaddy takes over your account until you pay a "service/reactivation fee" for no reason. Maybe it's been specifically hosted sites, I'm not sure.

What I've heard are stories that Godaddy takes over your account until you pay a "service/reactivation fee" for no reason. Maybe it's been specifically hosted sites, I'm not sure.
There's that urban legend thing.......I heard this ....I heard that......

You have to do your own due diligence................

Did you know you can light a fart with a match?

I have had zero problems with doteasy.com and I have used them for the last 8 years.

It might be helpful if some of you passing on names might pass on how long you have used them so others can see just how long you have not had issues with said offerings.

doteasy.com offers 1 year, 2 year, and 5 year plans the two year plan is $45.00 and they also offer option domain locking and private domain registration. Domain locking helps keep your domain from unauthorized transfer or other fraudulent domain activities. The private domain registering replaces your contact information with doteasy as a second party to buffer you from public private eyes.

it only comes with 100mb mailboxes for up to 10 email accounts 2gig would be $5.95 per month. Email forwarding is free of charge. Pop server email active with or with out the upgrade.

so max you are looking at with 2years, locking, and upgraded email to 2gig is about $202 for two years.

And quite frankly I have heard nothing about goddady that is worth passing on. But I do have experience with persons I have put websites together for running into trouble when they ran out and bought godaddy space. Let me just say this... Read the fine print. (no I am serious)

...and the adds oh my word the adds, becareful. If you are paying for hosting and or registering a domain anywhere there is no reason your site should have anything on it that you did not put on there period. Including from who hosts you.

good luck!

Most reactions

Back