Registering copyright online?? file sizes?

burstintoflame81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Has anyone done this? My two main questions are

1) Is the upload server fast? How many did you upload at once?

2) Would you recommend just uploading compressed lossy jpeg copies of the original RAW files?

I am going to register about 100-200 and would like to do them all together in the same group, that is why I ask. Thanks.

The process tells you exactly what is accepted.

That wasn't either of the questions, but thanks. I was asking what other have done when they registers ( which file type they did and why ). Also, I was asking what the upload times were like. No sense in converting a bunch of files if I am going to find that it will save me hours and hours to just mail them off instead.

Sorry, I can't remember the specifics from the last time I filed for copyright.
But what I told you is, during the process they tell you the info you are looking for. You can start and stop the process at any time, and you pay when you submit. So, why don't you go to the site, start the process, and find out what they accept. If I remember correctly the upload speed was acceptable.

Thanks. That was my biggest concern, the upload time. I just wanted someone to confirm that it wasn't some insane amount of time. I will look into it more.

Thanks. That was my biggest concern, the upload time. I just wanted someone to confirm that it wasn't some insane amount of time. I will look into it more.
Seems to me that would depend on your ISP provider and the amount of upload bandwidth you have with your plan. If you only have dialup, it's going to be an eternity. If you have a T3 line, it's going to be insanely fast. Other bandwidths in between will produce upload times - in between.

Send in a DVD, and then you don't have to worry about it.

Well I am trying to register but the tutorial is very confusing in terms of which type of title to pick. I want to register a group of photos. Do I have to name each individual photo, or can I just leave numbered file names and just name the collection as a whole?

It's all explained right there on the web site, if you'll look around a bit.

Yes, each individual photo must have a name, because each individual photo gets a registered copyright.

DON'T UPLOAD RAW FILES .

They accept the following image formats:

.bmp (Bitmap Image)
.dwg (AutoCAD Drawing)
.dwf (Autodesk Design)
.fdr (Final Draft)
.gif, .giff (Graphics Interchange Format)
.jpg, .jpeg, .jfif (Joint Photographic Experts Group)
.pdf (Portable Document Format)
.pic, .pict (Picture File)
.png (Portable Network Graphic)
.psd (Photoshop Document)
.pub (Microsoft Publisher)
.tga (Targa Graphic)
.tif, .tiff (Tagged Image File Format)
.wmf (Windows Metafile)

Is there a maximum file size that can be uploaded in one session?
Yes. The eCO system has a 60-minute upload time out that limits the size of files that can be uploaded in one session. See the table below for guidance.
Network connection *
Max. file size
How many files can be zipped into a single file for upload in one session?
Typical Modem (56 kbps)

11.3 MB
  • 6 high quality (low compression) JPEGs taken with a 5MP camera
  • 3 three-minute standard (128 kbps bitrate) MP3 files
Fiber Optic Cable (2 mbps)

170 MB
  • 220 high quality (low compression) JPEGs taken with a 5MP camera
  • 135 three-minute standard (128 kbps bitrate) MP3 files
*IMPORTANT NOTE: The maximum file size that can be uploaded within 60 minutes will vary depending on the method and speed of your connection to the Internet, i.e. dial up users will typically experience longer upload times than high speed internet users.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back