Regrets??

I really don't get the whole "it's too much camera for you" thing.....
<snipped>
I'm with you. I asked this question as well in a thread when someone made the comment that a D300 (I think) is too much for a beginner.

I am always under the impression that instead of pressing a button like mine or spinning a dial like a dSLR to change shutter speed, perhaps you had to do that all the while picking your nose and tying your shoelaces or something.

Shutter speed is shutter speed, aperture is aperture, and ISO is ISO, no matter what camera it is. That's the 3 most important aspects of camera useage. I change the shutter speed to freeze action/motion with my cheap superzoom same as someone with a <insert a "too much for you" camera here> user would only I may have to press buttons instead of a dial and I am limited on the range I can set it to.

I must say though I get a ton of battery time with this S5 as I use the view finder either that or I have a freakish set of batteries I charged them yesterday because I felt I should otherwise I havn't charged them since I got it back in the summer and I've taken a zillion shots with it..
I am feeling a bit scared of the batteries actually like they have a never ending life or something scary.... :blushing:

I cannot believe the battery life I get with my S5 as well. My wife's pocket camera a Canon A 570 makes up for it though, it eats batteries. It should come with a clip of batteries like a machine gun. ;)

D80 owner here. Not a single regret, other than that I would have saved some $ had I waited a few more months.

Jon

I really don't get the whole "it's too much camera for you" thing.

I think it a price and dedication thing. A lot of people (including myself) don't really know how far they are going to take the hobby when they start. Sure it all looks fun on the outside, but its not till your in the field shooting that you find out if it really is for you; So I think some are hesetant from getting right in at the deepend when starting out - especailly if they have no experience from other cameras.
Once more into the game I think some do regrete not getting a "better camera". I forget how much the price difference was a year ago, but I felt that the £400ish (very rough value that) 400D was enough camera for me - heck it was £400 more than I have ever spent on a camera!
A year later and I do yearn for more camera than I have, but I am honest with myself - on the one side its my lack of skill and experience which holds me back rather than just the camera; on the other side is the sane voice saying that unless I had the top top range camera no camera would be enough (and then of course the other side - Nikon - would start to look better - greener grass and all.

seriously I hear that Nikons do make grass look greener in their shots - just for this very purpose ;) :lmao:

I regret buying the D300 because the D400 is going to be sooo much better...

However, I have guilty feelings about the D400 because I'd regret buying that for the sake of the D500... I have no regrets about not buying the D500 because it's still hard to imagine...

I do not regret choosing my Sony A300 but I do regret buying the kit lens. I ended up selling it for practically nothing & spending lots more $$ on the lenses I really wanted. I am definitely glad I bought the A300 instead of settling for the A200. Its worth the extra $$ to me. :wink:

I regret not knowing more about sensors and lens systems prior to my wife buying me my Olympus.

I would have purchased a Pentax (because I have existing Pentax gear), or only bought the Olympus body and purchased the additional lenses myself.

But I love my Olympus, so it's not really a regret. Just an open musing.

Most reactions

Back