release charge

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by raider, Feb 1, 2006.

1. raider

raider TPF Noob!

you have a wedding set of pics on cd that contain 300 pics and another wedding that has only 50 (small wedding). how do you charge for the copyright release so they can print them at their pick of location? one standard fee or per file?

2. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    The going rate is anywhere between 250 and 650. For 300 I would say you are closer to the 250 side.

3. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

hmmm... good question. In the old "film days," some advice was to charge the same amount to release a negative (after the initial order) as you would for one custom 8x10. I don't think this reasoning translates well to an entire candid wedding.

Now that we're in the digital age, I have to re-think this. I would think you would have to do all the prep work on the files... color correction, cropping, etc.. That has to be worth something.

So, even on your smaller job of 50 images, if you spend as little as 3 minutes on each file you'll have invested close to 3 hours. It would take me much longer though.

Let's do some math... 4 hours x $70 = $280. Of couse you use your own numbers. Now lets say they would have ordered oh.... 20 8x10's from your files. If you charge as little as $16 for an 8x10, and it cost you say... $4 to make it, then you'd be losing $12 x 20, or $240 by releasing the files.

I hope this didn't just add to the confusion.

Pete

4. JodieO

JodieO TPF Noob!

I'm not wedding, but I only let the portrait session images (approx. 40) go for $2,800. No less, no "let's make a deal", no exceptions.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Christie Photo

See? That sound's right to me. From a portrait session, there's the potential of selling a print of nealy every exposure (unlike a candid wedding). AND... I charge more for my portait prints.

So... some more math:

Let's say 30 prints x $85 = $2,550. Right in the ball park.

6. JodieO

JodieO TPF Noob!

Thanks for sharing that, cause I sorta just pulled that figure out of nowhere a couple months ago and now I even had a customer order it! lolololol :lol: It's reassuring seeing you type that :)

7. bellaPictures

bellaPictures TPF Noob!

Are these the digital negs you are talking about??? If so, i didnt know it was worth THAT much...goes to show, i have no idea what im doing!! :)

8. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This brings up another question... What are you guys charging for prints?

9. PlasticSpanner

PlasticSpanner TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The real question should be "What will people pay for prints?"

Anyone can charge $100 for a print but if it doesn't sell then there's no point!

10. photogoddess

photogoddess TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is true. :lol:

11. Christie Photo

First, my usual disclaimer... I'm "old school," and suspect I'm a bit out of touch. That being said...

I actually have three different consumer products. This dates back to the film days and the labs offered three different products.

1) Custom Portriat Prints - negative retouched, prints hand made on an enlarger with any dodging or burning as needed, flexichrome work as needed, dry mounting and spray, delivered in a folder.

2) Portrait Packages (for high school seniors only) - negative retouched, prints made on a multi-printer, textured paper, sold in units only, delivered in folders. No mounting or spray included.

3) Candid Prints - individual machine prints, delivered in a folder. No retouching, spray or mounting.

I'm overdue on re-examining my pricing. This is where it stands now for an 8x10 print:

Custom - $85.00
    Seniors - $72.00
    Weddings - $24.00

My smallest senior package is three units: 1 8x10, 2 5x7, and 8 wallet - $145.00

I know there are higher priced studios in my area, but I couldn't give you any specifics.

12. bellaPictures

bellaPictures TPF Noob!

Still want to know this question....anyone?????