Religious ritual.

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by ozzono, May 4, 2006.

1. ozzono

ozzono TPF Noob!

In the countryside of Spain, still religious rituals with much tradition are celebrated. Greetings.

[​IMG]

2. spike5003

spike5003 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    We have something that looks like this in america too. Here it's not so much a religious ritual. I would assume you're going to catch some friendly harrasment for this one buddy.

3. LadybearHilde

LadybearHilde TPF Noob!

I wasn't exactly thinking Spain when I saw it :/ What ritual is it related too? That might help avert some comments. I"m from the south and the group it resembles is in no way a religous group in any way shape or form.

On another scope though, the black & white fits it very well, the shape of the eye hole makes it look a bit wicked with a bit of an ominous air about it. But that could be because of what it makes me think of, not knowing the ceremony it's involved with.

4. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    In Spain, around Easter, these hoods have nothing to do with the KK-Clan and the two cannot and must not be compared.

Found this

here:
    http://www.easterbunnys.net/spanisheaster.htm

5. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for that explanation, LaFoto. :thumbup:

It is images like this, which have a benign religious meaning in some parts of the world but will strike a different chord for some of us in the States, that really remind us we're an international photo forum. :)

It's a very good shot - nicely composed and great DOF here.

6. Corry

Corry Flirtacious and Bodacious Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree with every word you just said. The diversity on this forum rocks.

Very nice shot! I like the composition as well!

7. emo

emo TPF Noob!

nice capture!! we have also riligious rituals here during "Good Friday", but ours is bloody... imagine, a couple of hardcore believers being crucified...

8. ozzono

ozzono TPF Noob!

Explanation on this religious ritual in Spain. I think that this explanation can be necessary to avoid a possible cultural shock, by possible aesthetic similarities, although of course, it does not have anything to do with KKK.

Easter in Spain

In almost all the Christian religious rituals, the image of Christ is present.

[​IMG]

They lower of its cross, clearing to him the nails to it, and the crown. By each element that they clear they offer an oration and they request a pardon.

[​IMG]

They introduce to Christ in a ballot box

[​IMG]

And accompanied by the people of the town, they take it to the cemetery, where they return to say orations.

[​IMG]

Since I have commented previously, the people of the town accompany this procession.

[​IMG]

While they say, others hope respectfully.

[​IMG]

Once finished the orations, they lower the image of Christ, again to the church of the town.

[​IMG]

You can see, that it is an eminently religious ritual, and very rooted in a countryside of Spain.

[​IMG]

I believe that he is interesting to know, that the age of these people enough is elevated, the young people have separated completely from these celebrations. In addition, these white dresses are given before contracting marriage by their respective women, and will be buried with these clothes the day of their death.

I hope of heart that nobody has felt like victim with previous post, in which could take to an ambiguity by the aesthetic similarity with the KKK. But in fact she does not have anything to do, he is something totally different.

Greetings from Spain.

9. ozzono

ozzono TPF Noob!

Hello Emo, in Spain also we have a procession in which the protagonists whip the back until they bleed. They are called "Los Picaos"
    The one of the Philippines also knew it.
    You can see some photos and information of "Los Picaos" in: http://www.sanvicentedelasonsierra.org/sanvicente9.htm

Greetings from Spain.

10. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    very interesting pictures ozzono....... you captured the event well :thumbup:

11. RoRoCo

RoRoCo TPF Noob!

Nice captures... I too thought of the KKK without reading the descriptions. The eyehole is also bent in a way to show an almost cartoonish anger in the pic.

Funny thing...I am portuguese (live in the US for all my life though) and I have never seen a ritual like this in my home country.

thanks for sharing.

12. LadybearHilde

LadybearHilde TPF Noob!

Wonderful explination and series Ozzono. Except for a couple of modern images you could imagine this ceremony taking place any time in the past ... it has a very timeless feel to it. Beautiful :)