Remember Don't Drink & Drive?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by KmH, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Nevermore1

Nevermore1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My husband wants dash and rear cameras in our next car after my wreck last year. He wants to be able to have some type of backup to show what happened if any of us are ever in another serious wreck. The driver that hit me made up a story to cover themselves and I was told by both the PD and my insurance company that my statement didn't matter since I had been knocked unconscious and had a concussion. The roads aren't safe anywhere these days.

2. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Boatloads of people will resist autonomous cars because they won't be able to ignore the rules of the road.

I can see it now. Video of some guy/girl going ballistic in an autonomous car because they can't go faster than the speed limit so they can get to the grocery store 20 seconds sooner.

• Like Like x 2
  3. RowdyRay

RowdyRay No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Yep, I've been saying the same thing ever since the idea was announced. But they'll also be forced to leave with enough time to get where they're going.

You're in Iowa. So you're aware of what mother nature can throw at us on the roads. I swear, they got to work in 20 minutes....one time. Then think they can do that everyday. Doesn't work like that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Honestly I suspect that will be a lesser reason - the greater one is a lack of trust.

Esp since most people growing up have either first hand experienced or second hand read/heard of general electronics going wrong. Heck pretty much every single person in the modern world has had a computer crash on them more than once for "no reason".

Remote control cars on standard roads is a nice project, but its probably decades away from a practicality on the general roads. You might get it appear in big urban areas; but honestly its just too niche. Aside for which consider how many people own a 4*4 but will never go offroad in their life.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. davidharmier60

davidharmier60 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Absolutely true that common sense is no longer common. I drive an old truck with liability only. I've had exactly three accidents in nearly 40 years of driving.
    I've had people practically run me over on the highway. Glad I only drive about 11 miles most days.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

6. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

Well I drive around 80k a year as a salesman. I see it daily. I am numb to it. I used to get upset by it but now just keep good distances from other vehicles, relax, and try to enjoy the ride. I'm blessed to have a company vehicle and don't have to pay for anything.