Remember my bargain? Here are the pics!

WaywardShinobi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.asronphotography.tumblr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so, they aren't that great (BEGINNER, lol!) but here's what the Canon SLR that I got from Goodwill for 4 bucks gave me. The only PP I did was auto tone, a few crops, a little b&w on a few, and levels in Lightroom 3 BETA. I had them processed(sp?) at wal-mart so yeah, lol! Film was cheap Fujifilm 200.

21b9ljd.jpg

Just a quick shot, all these were test shots. Guess I should've put more into them anyway, but oh well.
Aperture Priority, f6.7 I should've set it a little tighter. Also didn't know this camera had AE lock so I didn't meter for the sky.
14c49y0.jpg

Little off focus. I was testing AF on this lens. I prefer the manual focus which is what I used for the rest of these shots.

oazos8.jpg

This one was a test of full auto mode.

14oc00k.jpg

My friend wanted me to shoot a few pics of him so he could see how well the camera took. Shot in Aperture Priority at 80mm with full aperture (5.6) manual focus.

2dw68sm.jpg

Shot in Aperture Priority at 80mm with full aperture (5.6) manual focus.

4j12y1.jpg

Same as above. Only angle I could get of her, she moves so much lol!

What do ya'll think? Opinion on camera AND c&c.

Thanks!

Edit: Anybody know why there are black bars on the right and top of some of them?

Last edited:
1. is actually pretty cool, the others look like a $4 camera took them.

I am not a Film guy, so sorry I do not have any tips, other than save your pennies for a DSLR

I am not a Film guy, so sorry I do not have any tips, other than save your pennies for a DSLR

Ok, thanks. Yeah, I'm saving up for a Nikon D5000, should have that in a few months. For now I'm stuck with this SLR. I like it though, personally. Also, what about the composition? Got any tips on that?

EDIT: Almost forgot the obligatory slightly oof mirror shot!

2gx2ng0.jpg

Last edited:
Oh how I love the look of film :D (My fave negative film so far is fugifilm superia)

#1 is pretty cool, although the leaves arent much to look at and the trees being cutoff is kindof annoying....

#2 Its not that interesting at all. But as you said, nothing more than a test shot so its no big deal. And the blur is probaly caused from longer exposure and your hand shaking due to the longer shutter speed (You used a pretty small aperture and you appear to be indoors)

#3 I really like this one. Its a really nice portrait and the background is just right. Its out of focus, but you can still tell what it is :D

I agree with those above, that these aren't particularly fantastic. That being said, the reason for this is not because you don't have a DSLR. It's merely because focus is off, exposure is a little long, and the composition is a little boring. These are all things that typically come with practice and experience.

One thing to consider is to keep track of the shutter speed, aperture, and focal length. of all of your shots maybe in a notepad or something. That way, you can see how everything works together as you practice. This is easier to do (and faster) on a DSLR, but definitely possible on film.

The other thing is look at a ton of pictures online. Browse flickr interestingness etc. and look at shots that you like. If you do this enough you will develop an eye that will see pleasing compositions of images.

Oh how I love the look of film :D (My fave negative film so far is fugifilm superia)

#1 is pretty cool, although the leaves arent much to look at and the trees being cutoff is kindof annoying....

#2 Its not that interesting at all. But as you said, nothing more than a test shot so its no big deal. And the blur is probaly caused from longer exposure and your hand shaking due to the longer shutter speed (You used a pretty small aperture and you appear to be indoors)

#3 I really like this one. Its a really nice portrait and the background is just right. Its out of focus, but you can still tell what it is :D

I like the film look too, it gives it...something but I like it. Lol at the leaves, I see those everyday and you're absolutely right, I'm tired of those leaves. Number 2 was definitely just a quick snap, wasn't meant to be much more. On number 3 I definitely tried to take the best I can so thanks for the compliment.

NateWagner said:
I agree with those above, that these aren't particularly fantastic. That being said, the reason for this is not because you don't have a DSLR. It's merely because focus is off, exposure is a little long, and the composition is a little boring. These are all things that typically come with practice and experience.

One thing to consider is to keep track of the shutter speed, aperture, and focal length. of all of your shots maybe in a notepad or something. That way, you can see how everything works together as you practice. This is easier to do (and faster) on a DSLR, but definitely possible on film.

The other thing is look at a ton of pictures online. Browse flickr interestingness etc. and look at shots that you like. If you do this enough you will develop an eye that will see pleasing compositions of images.

I know not having a dSLR isn't the reason for bad pictures, you can take great pictures with a disposable if you're a good photographer. About the notebook, I was just actually thinking the same thing. I need to go grab a pocket notebook from the dollar store, lol! Also will do on the flickr, I'll definitely start going through that alot more.

Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.

I love the notepad idea..why didn't i think of that?

Yeah, it's a great idea.

BTW, anyone got any suggestions on what film is best for general shooting? I know Velvia 50 is great for landscapes but what about just anything?

For general stuff go with anything the store has. I really like Fugi Superia 200, it just looks nice.

You can get some cool effects by buying slide film and having it processed at a negative film palce. (It might be the other way around...or it might work both ways..Ive never personaly done it) Its called "Cross Processing" I love the way it looks, and regularly replicate it in CS4 :D

Yeah, it's a great idea.

BTW, anyone got any suggestions on what film is best for general shooting? I know Velvia 50 is great for landscapes but what about just anything?

For general stuff go with anything the store has. I really like Fugi Superia 200, it just looks nice.

You can get some cool effects by buying slide film and having it processed at a negative film palce. (It might be the other way around...or it might work both ways..Ive never personaly done it) Its called "Cross Processing" I love the way it looks, and regularly replicate it in CS4 :D

Ok, the store around here only carry Kodak 400, Fuji 200, and Fuji 400 Superia. I'll have a look at Adorama. The cross processing thing sounds cool, I'll try it. I did a search and it's both ways I think. Also, how is it done in pp? Anyway, thanks for your help!

Most reactions

Back