Reaction score
BigPlaneC.jpg

Long range bombers...

BigPlaneA.jpg

...on 24/7/365 patrols...

BigPlaneB.jpg

...lurking ever vigilant...

SovietA.jpg

...like 2 scorpions in a bottle they danced...

SovietB.jpg

...both afraid to blink...

SovietC.jpg

I'm not sure exactly what this says but I'm pretty certain it isn't "CAN'T WE ALL GET ALONG AND GIVE PEACE A CHANCE?"

DmsDy001.jpg

And the scariest of the bunch...

DmsDy003.jpg

...from a project known as "OPERATION COFFIN NAIL"...

DmsDy002.jpg

...the ability to destroy your enemy even after your homeland is no more...

DmsDy004.jpg

...gladly a relic of the past.

No statements are/were meant to be pro/anti either side in the Cold War. Those of us who lived it have our own opinions. I am just thankful that both scorpions resisted the temptation to plunge us into the abyss.

To the younger members who cannot comprehend what these images mean to some others...I'm glad for that and the fact that you don't live everyday in a world with the knowledge that 2 nations are actively practicing the annihilation of the planet on a daily basis.

Thanks for viewing.

LWW

Dayton? The first aircraft is a USAF B-36 with six piston engines and four jet engines to lift it off the ground. It was the first bomber that could make a nuclear strike anywhere in the world after taking off from North America.

Eric

What camera/lens did you use?

Nikon F4s, 80-200 f2.8 and 28-105 f3.5-4.5, Kodak T100, in camera grain filter.

LWW

Dayton? The first aircraft is a USAF B-36 with six piston engines and four jet engines to lift it off the ground. It was the first bomber that could make a nuclear strike anywhere in the world after taking off from North America.
You are correct. All warbirds shown are on permanent display at the USAF museum at WPAFB.

LWW

dang airic, that was just what i was gonna say....... :wink:

these are so good, and your paragrah at the end is for sure right on the mark...
not pro..not con...

just thankful we dont have that over us anymore....strange to think they were even thinking that if we get annihilated, they would still get them back....(and people think i am crazy... :mrgreen: )

great shots...wonderful look into history......very cool.

As insane as it sounds MAD, or Mutually Assured Destruction, is probably all that kept the peace.

Someday I would love to visit Monigno outside of Moscow where they have a similar museum.

BTW I've always found it insanely humorous that a 70's/80's vintage doomsday device would not be allowed to exceed the national speed limit of 55 MPH at the time. Political correctness to infinity?

LWW

LWW said:
As insane as it sounds MAD, or Mutually Assured Destruction, is probably all that kept the peace.

Someday I would love to visit Monigno outside of Moscow where they have a similar museum.

BTW I've always found it insanely humorous that a 70's/80's vintage doomsday device would not be allowed to exceed the national speed limit of 55 MPH at the time. Political correctness to infinity?

LWW

MAD:thumbup:........... 55mph?? englighten me on this one LWW... not the speed limit but the reason why

Love them all, being the War buff that I am I've always been interested in the Cold War and how it shaped modern warfare today.

55mph?? englighten me on this one LWW... not the speed limit but the reason why
Just going by the sign which listed a top speed of 55 MPH.

I don't know for sure but it struck me as being politicly correct as in "We don't care if you incinerate a city just remember FIFTY FIVE SAVES LIVES!" as the speed limit propaganda of the day insisted.

LWW

Most reactions

New Topics

Back