Remembrance Day

Carmel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I figured that this was the closest category that was suitable for this... I hope you guys don't mind... I'm sorry I made a mistake, if this was not the spot for this.

I'm an army wife and an army brat, first and foremost. Having lived my entire life on bases, I'm sure I'll die on one. A tradition in Canada is November 11th being Remembrance day, much like the American's Veteran's Day. There is only one military cemetery in Canada and I had the opportunity to be at it this past Remembrance day parade in Beachwood Cemetery, Ottawa.

In 2006, my father's and husband's regiment, 2CER got hit bad in Afghanistan. It was a very painful time. A beloved friend and a good man died in an IED attack. We gathered to pay our respects to him. His squad was there as well as his fiance and I was privileged enough to capture such a moment-- it was a humbling experience. I wish I could have been better, to capture the moment better than I had. I was the only one with a camera and while I was surruptiously snapping shots, hoping not to invade on this private moment yet I was eager to capture it. I was pulled aside by an officer and asked to pick out some of the best photos so they could frame them and hang them in their office along with the small memorial they built for their fallen comrade.

Now... I'm scared. I don't think my shots turned out good. They do need to be touched up, I know that... but I'm not sure which one to pick. What do you guys think?

DSC02711.jpg

DSC02713.jpg

DSC02715.jpg

These next ones I was really sad because I liked them, but they were crooked. :( It was getting so cold out that my hands were going numb. It was -5 C and I'd been out in the wind without gloves or a hat for around 2 hours by then. Unfortunately, I won't be showing these but it goes to show what happens when you don't wear your hat and mittens on a cool day.

DSC02719.jpg

DSC02720.jpg

Number 1 would have been a deffinate but unfortunately you clipped the side of the date off. Numbers 2 and 3 are great as they show the comrades aswell.

As for number 4, I think this one tells such a strong story that I feel the angle isn't such a problem and should be included. Did you get many more on the day? Like the Bugler playing Last Post.

Just a little tinkering with curves to reduce the mistyness of the shots and they are good to go.

Great work and my respect to you all.

A moving story. It's a difficult situation - recording the moment versus disturbing the moment.

I like the simplicity of the last one. You could straighten it up if you wished, and maybe clone a little background into the top left to prevent the frame being too tight to the top of the stone. As Hoppy says you could reduce the mistiness with curves or maybe with a large radius, low amount unsharp mask.

As an aside, I have the impression that Remembrance Day is more like Memorial Day in its original, non-commercialized form: both for remembering the dead. Veterans Day feels more like it is about the living. That's just my feeling, and I could very well be wrong.

Best,
Helen

Most reactions

New Topics

Back