Remote Capture for compact cameras?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by TamiyaGuy, Jun 25, 2007.

1. TamiyaGuy

TamiyaGuy No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi. I currently own a FujiFilm Finepix A210, and am using it for making basic stop-frame animations. (it's made of photos). Well, basically, I have seen some remote controls for very high-end DSLR cameras, and obviously, I don't want to spend £500 for something I'll use for a movie. Are there any remote controls that you can plug in to the USB port on a compact camera/Fuji? Don't worry about the USB socket type, as I can simply buy an adapter.

Please help!

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the Forum.

Many cameras come with software that will allow this. My camera came with 'Canon Remote Capture'...does yours have something similar?

3. TamiyaGuy

Photos OK to edit
    I have looked at the Fuji website, and can only find Mac/Windows XP drivers. The CD I have with it only has software to view pictures. This is an ancient camera.

However, I'm not sure if this is it, but there is a driver that allows my Fuji A210 to act as a webcam, rather than a removable memory device. Also, I'm also looking for an actual remote control, as the movies I am making are getting too much 'shudder', because I have to press the capture button so hard. :confused:

Also, the camera isn't actually mine, and the webcam driver stops the camera's DSC mode (removable storage), so my dad probably won't be that pleased if that's the answer. If you can find a USB remote control, it doesn't matter about the connector, as I can buy an adaptor :)

Thanks!

4. avcabob

avcabob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Most compact cameras have basically a webcam mode, not sure what it's ofically called. All Fuji's I've used have it. Somewhere in the settings you should be able to switch the usb mode. You'll have to read your manual to find it as it's different in every camera.

5. TamiyaGuy

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah. I can change it to a webcam mode in the settings, but will this allow me to use a remote control on this basic compact camera? As you can probably tell, I'm pretty new to remote capture. And if someone knows of a website that I could get this stuff, I'd be very pleased if you could link it to me ^_^. Thanks!

6. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Rather than use a remote control (to eliminate camera shake), why not just use the self timer?

7. TamiyaGuy

Photos OK to edit
    Well, I have thought about it, but with the number of photos I'm taking, and the illness I have (that means I can only do one thing for a certain amount of time), I can't really afford to wait 10 seconds with every photo I take. Also, the 'tripod' I use is a home-made, find it, make it kind of tripod (all the others were too tall), so any kind of pressure will still adjust the angle of the tripod.

8. avcabob

avcabob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Using it as a webcam will send the information from the camera straight to the computer and the computer would capture the image, so the computer is the remote. As for software, it's hard to recomend anything without knowing what kind of computer you have.

9. TamiyaGuy

Photos OK to edit
    Ah. I forgot to mention that. My parents don't like the marks my claymen make on their computer desk, so I have to make them in my bedroom. I've already got software that allows real-time capture, but to use it, I would need the longest USB extender in the world :p Also, it's again a matter of time: Just to take 1 photo, I would need to: Edit the position of my clayman, go to the computer, check if the shot looks OK, take it, go back, and edit the position of my clayman again.

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I have looked at all the options I have, and decided that a USB remote control is the best solution (if they even exist...)

10. TamiyaGuy

Photos OK to edit
    Oh well. I might just ask around as to if they even exist. I'm starting to doubt it now. If they do, however, I would be over the moon, as this will probably be one of the only things to make the quality of my claymations better.

11. avcabob

avcabob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    sorry for not replying sooner, but I don't think you are going to find a usb camera remote, hence my sudjestion of using the computer. Anyway, you actaully can make USB runs as long as you want as long as you use powered usb repeaters. example. That's just an example of what you would need, I have no idea if that happens to be a good site to buy one from. Using just normall USB extention cords, the data will be lost over very long runs, but the repeaters will retransmit the data solving the problem. But they are more expensive.

In the end, it will probably be easier to convince your parents you need a laptop for "school".

12. TamiyaGuy

Photos OK to edit
    ok. Well, thanks for all the info, and I have definitely thought about getting a laptop, but you don't know my parents XD. But if I can get a really cheap laptop (probably a crappy one for £50), and only use it for SMP (the capture software), It might help. I'm just not sure about the cost; I must take after my parents ;)