Remote flash / IR question

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by setao, May 27, 2010.

1. setao

setao TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hey! I've got 3 PBL 300's (see below) and have several remote flash triggers for them and three other PBL 160's. My question is that why when I plug the remote flash receiver into the PBL 300 does the IR still receive other flashes and thus fire itself? My goal is to have them only flash when my hotshoe'd flash trigger tells them to (so other cameras don't set it off.) Help! :)

PBL 300's with picture:
    Steve Kaeser Backgrounds & Accessories

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know where you are getting 'IR' from. :scratch: Your camera doesn't output any IR and the flash triggers on that link use Radio waves, not IR light.

I think what you are asking about, is the built in optical trigger on the strobe units. They fire when they detect another flash (not IR), and yes, this could cause them to be triggered by someone else's camera.

I would assume that these strobes are like most others, in that the optical trigger is disabled when there is something plugged into the sync port. (ie: the radio trigger receiver).

So if you don't want your lights to be triggered optically by any flash, you would need a radio receiver for each light.