Remote Flash Triggers?

Use a speedlight with commander capability(SB-800 or 900) on the hotshoe of the camera to control the off-camera speedlight(this is pretty expensive way to do this). You also retain CLS control.

Doesnt the 600 have commander mode?
I am not sure if the SB600 can function as a commander or not. I wanted to say it did, but I'm not sure now. I'd have to dig online, and to be honest I'm just too lazy right now.

I'm not familliar with the Pixel trigger so I have no opinion.

PW = Pocket Wizard.

One more thing, @ fiveoboy01, why buy a Cybersyncs controller and not have CLS when I can acomplish that with the on board flash?

To trigger a flash with your onboard popup, you will have to have the flash in slave mode. There are two problems with this. First, the onboard flash might light up the image and add to the exposure when you don't want it to. Second, you do not have CLS/TTL, so you will be forced to manually control the flash(which is not a bad thing though, but expect to be experimenting quite a bit in the beginning).

Another third thing I hadn't thought of, is that if you have the off-camera flash in some weird place, it might not "see" the flash from your pop up, hence it won't fire. In slave mode it's gotta see a flash or it won't fire.

Whether or not you use the pop-up flash or a wireless trigger, you're going to have to control the flash manually. The advantage of the wireless trigger is that it doesn't necessarily have to be line of sight, and it has more range.

Some companies make wireless triggers that are TTL/CLS enabled, but that's a whole nother subject;)

Gotcha, thanks for all the info everyone. Now I'm not totally lost lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back