Remote Shutter Release D610

VigilanteFoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Have a cheap off brand shutter release that just does not work well with my D610 (the shutter release was purchased originally fir a D7000). Anyone have a recommendation?

Have a cheap off brand shutter release that just does not work well with my D610 (the shutter release was purchased originally fir a D7000). Anyone have a recommendation?

I'm not sure what you mean by doesn't work well. Seems that it either works or it's doesn't. What do you mean by that?

What are you currently using?

I was using a Vivitar IR (infrared) release. But it worked fine for 3 months (very light duty) then all of a sudden it only took multiple shots. Very annoying. The OEM Nikon IRs that I have have worked flawlessly and one is over 2 yrs old now.

I also use a Nikon MC-DC2 which is a corded remote. That works nicely too, though you have to be with the camera for that.

For further away remote, ie, Radio Trigger there are many, many options. From Yongnuo, Pocketwizard, etc
I went with a very inexpensive RF solution called Vello for $35.00 (and there's many others rebadged like this too)
Vello Freewave Wireless Remote Shutter Release for Nikon w Mini USB Connection | eBay

You could have it on the hotshoe, but I have the RF receiver on my tripod held on by rubber bands - THis leaves my hotshoe open for my SU-800 off camera flash controller. It plugs into the remote plug of my d7000 (7100) and d600 (610).

Vivitar (the same, is cheaper here)
Vivitar Series 1 Wireless 2-in-1 Shutter Release for Nikon DC2 Cameras VIVRC200D90

and on Adorama, there are many options, such as their flashpoint.
The key is getting the correct one for the correct plug. The higher end cameras use a different plug.
Flashpoint RCN3, 3-in-1 Remote Control-Camera Trigger for Nikon D5300 & Others N3

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I'm not sure what you mean by doesn't work well. Seems that it either works or it's doesn't. What do you mean by that?

If you use the ML-L3 IR release it may not work well.
basically, when using the IR the IR light needs to get to the receiver.
I found that in certain situations that is harder than one thinks. When doing a selfie it also becomes much harder as you don't want the remote to b shown. That particular situation is the reason I went to a low cost RF remote.

I use my RF603s.

That's probably one of Nikon's that is making it useless.

That's probably one of Nikon's that is making it useless.
huh ??

All my Nikon gear works as expected .. the MC-DC2, ML-L3, etc. Just you reach certain limitations with each dependent upon what you want to do.

Nikon's software compatibility, they update their stuff all the time to flush out their competition.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

If you use the ML-L3 IR release it may not work well.
basically, when using the IR the IR light needs to get to the receiver.
I found that in certain situations that is harder than one thinks. When doing a selfie it also becomes much harder as you don't want the remote to b shown. That particular situation is the reason I went to a low cost RF remote.

I think that is basically how they all are. If you are not in direct site they do not pick up. My oem Canon does the same thing. You have to be right in front of the camera to trigger it but the real problem is that you can not set a timer and trigger it with the remote. So your stuck with trying to keep the remote out of your shot. Not sure if Nikon is like that but it's one of those things that makes you wonder, what were they thinking....

So your stuck with trying to keep the remote out of your shot. Not sure if Nikon is like that but it's one of those things that makes you wonder, what were they thinking....

It's pretty easy. Set the IR release for a 2 second delay, pop it, and palm the remote.

So your stuck with trying to keep the remote out of your shot. Not sure if Nikon is like that but it's one of those things that makes you wonder, what were they thinking....

It's pretty easy. Set the IR release for a 2 second delay, pop it, and palm the remote.

Also my work around. Delayed shutter (like when you take a selfie) but then just trigger with the remote. The remote for me is more so I don't get any shake than actually using it because I can't be near the camera.

Why not use the self-timer?

My off brand shutter release cost me $6 and does not have a brand name on it. It is not reliable, as sometimes it does not trigger the shutter...recently, it triggered another, nearby photographers camera (but not mine). Other times it works as expected, then next time it has a delayed release. I use the timer, but a good shutter release is better than a timer, as it shoots when triggered vs a delay.

Most reactions

Back