Remote Shutter Release

KelSS90

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone have any advice on purchasing a remote shutter release? I just recently started looking at them, and am surprised by how cheap some of them are. For example, this one here: Nikon Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 for D50, D70, D70S, D80, N65, N75, Coolpix 8400, 8800, Pronea S, Nuvis S & Lite Touch Zoom Cameras

Photography is just a hobby and I have only had my camera for a couple of months, but I have found myself in several situations wishing I had a remote. I would like a wireless one and if the cheap ones are of decent quality, that would be great. I shoot with a Nikon D3200.

Any advice, product suggestions, words of wisdom regarding these? Thanks!

Only problem with the IR remote is they get iffy out in the sun. The infrared from the sun overpowers the signal from the remote, so you may or may not actuate the camera. I prefer to use a radio (RF) trigger outdoors.

Only problem with the IR remote is they get iffy out in the sun. The infrared from the sun overpowers the signal from the remote, so you may or may not actuate the camera. I prefer to use a radio (RF) trigger outdoors.
Another problem with an IR remote is that it has to be aimed at the front of the camera. I'm usually standing behind the camera, so you have to sort of reach around the camera and aim the remote at the front.

With RF (or a corded remote), that wouldn't be an issue.

Another problem with an IR remote is that it has to be aimed at the front of the camera. I'm usually standing behind the camera, so you have to sort of reach around the camera and aim the remote at the front............

Unless your camera has an IR receiver in the back.............

Thanks for the info! Do either of you have a favorite brand that you use, or do you stick to the maker of your camera for these types of accessories?

I was going to buy a remote for my D5300 that I've ordered. I decided to wait because it sounds like I can use my phone instead. (need to read up on it more)

FYI, just to add to this thread

I have an OEM Nikon ML-L3 and a Vivitar branded one.

The Nikon has worked flawlessly inside and in short distance outside (only used at night though). I've had it for over a year and bought with my camera.

The Vivitar one *was* working flawlessly until recently. Now for some reason it is taking 2 shots at a time. I can switch back and forth between the two and the Nikon takes 1, the Vivitar takes 2. Really odd. I bought this only 4 months ago as a second one.

I also have a Nikon MC-DC2 which is the corded (1 meter long) remote shutter release. It works great too.
But having a radio triggered one would be ideal for *all* situations and give greater mobility away from the camera.

Sure............ if you want to take photos............ r............e ............ a ............ l ........................ s ............ l ............ o ............ w.

Remote WiFi release is just as fast as an archaic infrared remote... The difference is the 50 foot range, the ability to change camera settings remotely and a live view stream :)

I dunno about that. Pull out IR remote, turn camera on, make settings with camera, set it to remote, fire away.

WiFi: Pull out WiFi adapter (if you haven't lost the little bugger!), pull little door open on side of camera, struggle to get adapter lined up to fit into micro-mini-macro connector. Get out smart device, launch app. Search for WiFi connection, wait for handshake. Once app starts, play with settings until ISO, shutter speed, aperture, white balance etc. are chosen. Then turn camera off because the light is gone.

FYI, just to add to this thread

I have an OEM Nikon ML-L3 and a Vivitar branded one.

The Nikon has worked flawlessly inside and in short distance outside (only used at night though). I've had it for over a year and bought with my camera.

The Vivitar one *was* working flawlessly until recently. Now for some reason it is taking 2 shots at a time. I can switch back and forth between the two and the Nikon takes 1, the Vivitar takes 2. Really odd. I bought this only 4 months ago as a second one.

I also have a Nikon MC-DC2 which is the corded (1 meter long) remote shutter release. It works great too.
But having a radio triggered one would be ideal for *all* situations and give greater mobility away from the camera.

Thank you! I think I am going to go with the Nikon ML-L3 for now. I think it will suit my purposes just fine for now and I'm certainly not unhappy about the price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back