remote shutter release

Discussion in 'Nikon Accessories' started by Rickjs, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Rickjs

Rickjs TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a Nikon D3200 and just picked up a Insignia wired interval shutter remote. I noticed when I have the remote plugged in, the back screen goes black. Is there a setting that would show my camera settings on the screen like normal or do they all do this?

2. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Are you in manual mode?

Page 58 in your manual.

3. Rickjs

Rickjs TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yes, I tried manual, aperture and even auto:apologetic: mode and still the same result. I started looking at it and noticed where the wire plugs into the remote was a little loose, Turns out it tightens down and the screen on my camera works

4. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

The concept of a remote shutter release is that you are not physically there to press the shutter, thus the LCD is just draining battery.

5. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    The remote shutter release functionality is to allow you to not touch the camera to prevent any movement from your hand touching the camera.
    With the wired remote shutter releases you're still standing next to the camera. With IR you still seem to be limited to short distances, and Radio you can be far away.

I use Photo Review ON all the time with my remote shutter release. Many focus using the LCD and focus peaking, etc.

6. Rickjs

Rickjs TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I use the screen to adjust my settings but use the remotes timer function for the to shutter open and close when I do long exposures

7. table1349

table1349 Been spending a lot of time on here!

That is what the built in timer or even better, the mirror lockup and built in timer are better for. Mirror locked up, no slap, no vibration when the built in timer trips.

8. Rickjs

Rickjs TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If I want to take a shot up to 30 seconds sure I use the built in timer. When I do shots longer than that (which are quite a few) I have to go into bulb mode, that's when I'll use the timer on the remote. Also, using live mode with the mirror locked up,eats up your battery life. Even more than using the screen to see your settings. Also, mirror slap has not been an issue

9. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit

I always use MUP. I've found a 5 second delay optimal to minimize any movement on various tripods/telescope mounts plus any delay if the wind kicks up or other exterior situation where you delay even more. But, with a wired remote, I'm still standing there and not moving. I've found that walking on a concrete slab next to the concrete slab can induce some movement. So i'm very particular.

But either way, a remote is to allow someone from not touching the camera for various methods of use.