Remote switch for Canon

Big

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
coffmanimages.webs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys! I am looking to get a remote switch for my 50D and I'm not quite sure which switch to get. The Canon site shows a remote switch and a timer switch. I'd like to have one that I can control from a distance (like for shooting humming birds) and one that can set and hold my camera on bulb mode for star trails. I really would like to be able to lock my shutter and since it's getting colder out, I feel more comfortable about locking the shutter open without it overheating. Is there one remote that can do both or do I need to get separate ones?
Thanks!
-BIG

I may have found my answer... but are there wireless ones?

The remote switch=

• Prevent camera shake for super telephoto shots, macrophotography, and bulb exposures
  • Works just like a shutter button, enabling halfway or complete pressing
  • Shutter-release lock

I may have found my answer... but are there wireless ones?
Yeah, I used the cable one from Canon for a couple years, then bought a very cheap wireless shutter trigger off ebay for about $20, and it works GREAT.

I've been using it for a couple years now without any problem at all, other than needing to replace the battery once or twice. I've used it through walls and all, and triggered it from as far as about 60 feet or so with no problem. I don't know what it's actual working distance limit is, cause that's just as far as I've used it so far, but it's a lot farther than a cable, a heck of a lot cheaper, and a whole lot more useful.

Edit: I'll note that I've also used mine on bulb, since you were specifically interested in that. After holding the button for something like 10 seconds, you can let it go and the shutter still stays open, so you don't have to keep it pressed. When you're ready to release it, press the button again. (of course, that might depend on which one you get, but I think the cheapies are all pretty much the same - Mine's a Yongnuo brand)

If you looking for a remote shutter release than Yongnuo brand is very good and extremely cheap. They do digital timer releases too.

It's quite unnecessary to spend lots of money on the triggers as there are pretty good 3rd party ones out there that do just as good a job. As i have said i would go with (and have gone with) the Yongnuo's

If you're a photographer here in the UK, I found it quite difficult to get hold of them. I stumbled across this store that does a good range of them.

Camera Accessories and Remote Switches

Thanks

Barrie

Barrie Gordon Wedding Product Fashion Photographer Watford

Most reactions

Back