Removing black paint from older cameras

Early

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a couple of Minolta XE-7's that show brassing and was wondering how I could remove the rest of the paint on one of them without scratching the metal.

I saw one of these a few years ago, and it looked awesome. I offered to buy it even though I was sure the meter needed calibration.

In the Leica world... "naturally" worn brassed cameras are actually the most valuable.... its character. Totally removing all the paint seems a bit tacky. IMHO. Yeh.. nail polish will work just don't let it get on the coverings or leak into the camera itself.

In the Leica world... "naturally" worn brassed cameras are actually the most valuable.... its character. Totally removing all the paint seems a bit tacky. IMHO. Yeh.. nail polish will work just don't let it get on the coverings or leak into the camera itself.
I've been living in the Leica world off and on, and I haven't seen that to be true, not by a long shot.

I also don't agree on the tackiness part. You had to see this camera. If it wasn't for the scratches, it would have looked like a custom paint job, just like on a car. You could appreciate that, right? And, where else am I going to get a gold colored usable camera to make a spectacle of myself... for less than the cost of that Farrari.

Anyway, guys, thanks for the tip about the nail polish remover. But I'm little leery about a solvent. I once heard they play havoc with camera meters.

You are likely goint to need to dismantle the camera and remove all painted parts and use a stripper.

Be for warned if you use a stripper or any chemical paint remover so as to not scratch the metal you will have issues with paint adheasion when repainted.

your best course of action is to dismantle it and use 400 sand paper and do scratch the metal.

Paint and primer adhears to scratches in the metal far better than smooth metal. New paint will easily fill in the scratches from 400 grit sand paper.

*EDIT*
I am a Cirtified Autobody technition, I went to school to paint things made of metal.

You are likely goint to need to dismantle the camera and remove all painted parts and use a stripper.

Be for warned if you use a stripper or any chemical paint remover so as to not scratch the metal you will have issues with paint adheasion when repainted.

your best course of action is to dismantle it and use 400 sand paper and do scratch the metal.

Paint and primer adhears to scratches in the metal far better than smooth metal. New paint will easily fill in the scratches from 400 grit sand paper.

*EDIT*
I am a Cirtified Autobody technition, I went to school to paint things made of metal.

I don't think he wants to repaint it. I understood the post as he liked the unpainted look that is why he wants to remove the rest of the paint and hence no scratches.

Sorry I can't help no idea what the best way to do that.

I don't think he wants to repaint it. I understood the post as he liked the unpainted look that is why he wants to remove the rest of the paint and hence no scratches.

Sorry I can't help no idea what the best way to do that.

That is why I included the paint stripper option.
Nail polish remover simply will not work on all applications.

But Battou does have a point. For obvoius reasons, disassembly would be most prudent to prevent unnecessary damage to the camera while applying any chemical. Can be done otherwise, but make sure you have plenty of time, no people around to bug you and use EXTREME CAUTION. Good luck.

I've been living in the Leica world off and on, and I haven't seen that to be true, not by a long shot.

I don't agree one bit.... (you should get back "in") I run in circles with those "nutzy" Leica collectors.... although I don't collect ( I shoot with them thus buy "users", its cheaper too).

Black Paint (not black anodized) M3's for example are one of the most highly valued cameras with a Leica/Leitz branding. So much so, that there are whole long threads on rangefinderforum with tips on how to duplicate the same effect convincingly. Take apart a traditional M3 chrome, treat it, paint it, and wear it down at locations where your thumb and hand would naturally wear down to the brass. You'll also see a thread of people's "brassed" cameras that go for a few pages.... some look really convincing...

This late 50s M3 35mm summilux for example is priced at almost $4k. You can find chrome versions for a fraction and brand NEW '08 35mm summilux for at the same price. What makes it $4k, yes.. the black paint.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leica-M3-lens-1...ryZ30063QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Need a more recent example? Black MPs with wear (in fact.. dealers will even tell you that the black paint on MPs were designed to wear quickly)....Black M4s...

As for tacky... it was my opinion. A worn camera looks like it has been through a lot of lovin and use... "seen" a lot. A completely stripped camera looks "naked" purposely done and unfinished. I don't like the look of brass exposed to air and skin oil over time? It was just my opinion.... the point is to shoot with it and do whatever you want. Personally.. I still prefer chrome... like both of mine.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For got to mention..
There is this fellow that is known for repainting chrome Leica bodies into black.. by the name "Shintaro". I see a lot of postings concerning his work so there seems to be a history with his work.

You might want to shoot him an email and get his expert opinion on how to remove the black paint safely. His web page:

http://homepage2.nifty.com/Shintaro/aboutpainting.html

And, where else am I going to get a gold colored usable camera to make a spectacle of myself...

If that is your intention... you will want to treat that brass. Bare brass does NOT look "gold" after being exposed to the elements (air) and your skin oils for a day or two. Perhaps Shintaro can offer you a way to strip the paint and apply a protective lacquer of some sort.

Most reactions

Back