Rent lenses before buying?

Peeb

Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am in the market for a long telephoto in the $1000 neighborhood (give or take). Finalist (in no particular order) are:
  • 1. Nikon 200-500
  • 2. Tamron 150-600
  • 3. Sigma 150-600

I live nowhere near a metro area and have no easy access to brick/mortar retail locations. I could rent all 3 and these lenses and live with them for 4 days for around $175 before deciding which one (if any) is the one for me.

In your view, is this a silly unnecessary expenditure, or a wise hedge against buyers remorse to fork out some rental cash?

In my neck of the woods the Nikon is around 400€ more expensive than the other 2. Would that be 175 dollars per lens, or combined? If you have to pay that per lens that would be $500 you have to add to the price.

I have a similar problem, my local shop only rents out the Nikon, so it would be difficult for me to test the other 2. If you will be paying 175 to rent all 3 then go for it!

It would give you the A/B/C direct comparison which is ever so valuable versus reading about it.

It took me a while though to properly learn how to use my 150-600. And other people have had issues with focusing on lens which may take weeks to correct. You can certainly glean from the A/B/C about which has the smoothest mechanics (which is probably Nikon, followed by Tamron and then #4 Sigma (I've always thought their mechanics are hard and not as smooth from the few I've tried))

But $175 is getting close to 20% of a used lens (except the Nikon). I think it would be a wise decision if you were buying new. But otherwise if you are buying used I'd say get the Nikon. FWIW, I own the Tamron and I've tried the Sigma 150-600 and had a Sigma 150-500.

I also want to try the Nikon but 100mm is extremely useful for me and I've A/B's the Tamron 150-600 to the Sigma 150-500, and I'd rather have the additional reach. I've also A/B'd the Tamron v Sigma (cheaper version) 150-600 and prefer the Tamron for mechanics and image.

Don't worry though. We can spend your money for you here without you even having to think about it. But it's still a great idea to rent all 3 for a comparison as long as you don't mind losing the $175 in the end because you seem to be planning on buying the lens elsewhere from the renting place.

Last edited:
In my neck of the woods the Nikon is around 400€ more expensive than the other 2. Would that be 175 dollars per lens, or combined? If you have to pay that per lens that would be $500 you have to add to the price.

I have a similar problem, my local shop only rents out the Nikon, so it would be difficult for me to test the other 2. If you will be paying 175 to rent all 3 then go for it!
Yeah, the nikon is 1400 here. The 175 rental is total for all 3, shipping included.

Yeah, the nikon is 1400 here. The 175 rental is total for all 3, shipping included.
To me it's a no brainier. Rent them, compare them, buy the one you like best. No wondering afterwards if you bought the best one for you.

To me it's a no brainier. Rent them, compare them, buy the one you like best. No wondering afterwards if you bought the best one for you.
This; yes, $175 isn't chump change, but it's not 'break the bank' money either, and you're not so much buying, as investing in a lens, something that you will have for a long time. Personally, I don't even see this as a question.

I see this as an insurance policy that you'll get the lens you:
a. want/need
b. performes up to your expectations and
c. functions properly with your camera body without any weird hiccups.

I'd happily pay that for peace of mind that I'm spending my money on the right lens.

btw, were you just renting the 3. Then returning and buying elsewhere. Or where you going to opt to buy one of the 3 lenses you were renting.

I got the sense that you were going to return them, and buy elsewhere?

btw, were you just renting the 3. Then returning and buying elsewhere. Or where you going to opt to buy one of the 3 lenses you were renting.

If he pays a rental fee, what does it matter where he buys a lens?

If he pays a rental fee, what does it matter where he buys a lens?
If he doesn't buy the lens he tested, and buys a used lens from elsewhere (either with or without a good return policy) it may not work exactly as the one he tested. It may have issues with focusing, etc. or may work perfectly fine.
Just read other threads of the Sigma lenses.

If you are buying the lens you rented, then you know exactly what you are buying.

$175 to kill any what-ifs buyer's remorse? That's cheaper than hiring a therapist.

Oops- life has intruded!

My adult daughter borrowed by D5500 and she loves it so much I don't see it coming home now. How could I make her go back to that D40? The super-tele lens fund became the replace my camera fund. ;)

Just picked up a used D600 with 28-105 on the 'bay for the cash I'd set aside for a lens.

Hopefully no 'oil spots' issues. Should be fun to break into full frame. I'll revive this thread from the dead when then lens fun is (eventually... hopefully) built back up.

save the $175 and use it to cover the extra $$$ between the 150-600s and the 200-500 :p

edit: enjoy the D600!

Yeah, you can look at reviews and tests and writing and videos and whatever until you're blue in the face, but holding something and seeing through it for yourself will leave no doubt.

FWIW, I like my 200-500. Zoom ring is a two-grip maneuver to go from one side to the other, and it's a touch soft at 500mm wide open, but it's a pretty good lens overall.

Most reactions

Back